pop time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2010
Sorry guys, just realized it had to be approved!!! It may post 3 or so times!!! It will show her mechanics throwing from her feet and also from her knees.....

Feb 13, 2012
my daughter is 11 her pop time is 1.85 now after her catching camp, before she was around 2.2- 2.4. do you recommend the catchers to use knee savers or leave them off?

Mar 24, 2015
My kid is 16, 5'4" (better term would be 5' nothing), she went from a 1.98 pop time to a 1.7 after a lot of weight training, especially core work. Under 12 they really shouldn't be weight lifting as it could be counter productive to their growth; but back to the point, mechanics and core strength are everything, also to much height and weight can be a problem too. I have seen where they expect girls to be 5'8" to 5'10" as Div 1 catchers. Sorry I have to disagree, some of the big girls have a problem getting out of their own way and aren't as nimble as the smaller catchers. If they have the arm, and leg strength then height shouldn't matter and to many coaches have that mindset which is too bad as they miss out on some really good players. I noticed the biggest improvement came with the core work if that's worth anything.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Wow a 1.7 and a 1.85 pop time. Were these measured with game footage shot at 30 or 60fps?

My dd just said "I've been clocked at 1.7...then the next one was 2.3...then 2.0". Several of them regularly, probably once a week, get clocked. She said "it's a joke, girls will have a slow time, and swear it was quicker than their fast clocked times." Hard to put a ton of weight into tenths of a second when it depends on someone's thumb time on the watch.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My dd just said "I've been clocked at 1.7...then the next one was 2.3...then 2.0". Several of them regularly, probably once a week, get clocked. She said "it's a joke, girls will have a slow time, and swear it was quicker than their fast clocked times." Hard to put a ton of weight into tenths of a second when it depends on someone's thumb time on the watch.

Never put much stock in pop times. You either throw them out or they are safe. Stats are no substitute for results during a game. :)

Jul 6, 2013
Clearly, good pop times are important. But let's be realistic. If you have a catcher that is pretty decent here, but not elite, chances are they aren't going to try to steal on her a whole lot anyway. But she will still have to receive every single pitch, block low balls, let the defense know the scenarios and call out defenses. Wayyy too much emphasis spent by lots of folks on pop times and less on the important stuff. Jmo.

Apr 1, 2010
Clearly, good pop times are important. But let's be realistic. If you have a catcher that is pretty decent here, but not elite, chances are they aren't going to try to steal on her a whole lot anyway. But she will still have to receive every single pitch, block low balls, let the defense know the scenarios and call out defenses. Wayyy too much emphasis spent by lots of folks on pop times and less on the important stuff. Jmo.

I agree. Many aspects of catching are intangible, but pop time is measurable, so it gets overused a lot.

If you can't block well, what does it matter if you have a great pop time? The runners will have plenty of time to take a base while you're picking up the ball from the backstop. If you lose strikes for your pitcher by not receiving well, runners won't need to steal, they'll get pushed along by walks or big hits that come along when the pitcher is way down in the count. If you aren't a good field general back there, chaos will reign, no matter what your pop time is.

Of course all that being said, you want to hold those runners and make those outs when the chance is there, but IMO pop time is not a good measure of what makes a great catcher.

Oct 10, 2011
Even looking at video mine ranges trying to do it with a stop watch...I think there's something wrong with my thumb.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06