pop time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
how does the mechanics of a softball catcher compare to that of baseball catcher as far as throwing, blocking, etc? are they the same?

Nov 1, 2009
My DD who is 13 has good mechanics behind the plate and has good transitional move when getting into position to make throw to second. However...her time is average...2.28. In my opinion, it seems like it takes her too long from when she receives the ball to making the throw. Her throws are hard and accurate, but I think she's lacking speed/quickness from that receive point to release. Any ideas on how to get her to release quicker?

How many 13 year olds are stealing second in 2.12 seconds. The answer is none. Your daughter is exceptional and will get stronger and more efficient.

Apr 24, 2011
Pop Time

My daughter is 13 yrs old and has pop times of 2.2-2.3 (game) and 2.0-2.1 (practice) which appear to be good for her age. However, she still has an arch to her throw down. I am assuming that getting rid of that arch will improve her time. Can you recommend any drills to lower the height of her throws. (She has no arch in throws to 1B and 3B, only 2B)

Jul 26, 2010
Long toss throwing practice, she just needs to build her arm strength. The throws will be faster if they bounce before 2b then if she arcs the throw, but coach needs to make sure SS and 2B can handle that.

-W

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
My daughter is 13 yrs old and has pop times of 2.2-2.3 (game) and 2.0-2.1 (practice) which appear to be good for her age. However, she still has an arch to her throw down. I am assuming that getting rid of that arch will improve her time. Can you recommend any drills to lower the height of her throws. (She has no arch in throws to 1B and 3B, only 2B)

Starsnuffer has good advice. Long toss to add strength and bring the throws down even if they bounce. Do you have any video of her throwing to 2nd base? Many girls we see have as much as 2-3 tenths additional time due to mechanics issues.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA

Assuming you are in Georgia - what part? There are some excellent coaches around. My DD plays 18U so I've been around a bit - I'm glad to recommend someone.

Jan 15, 2009
I know that we all love to put a ruler to kids and see how they measure up, but before you go over the top on Pop to Pop time, keep in mind that the idea is to not let runners on the bases in the first place and a catcher who manages her pitcher and only allows 4 base runners in a game is better than one that in the same circumstance allows 10 runners on and throws 2 of them out stealing.

I know at the higher levels some will insist that the coach should be calling the game, but IMO you have to earn that right through work and only at the college level and a select few below that do coaches do the homework on hitters to the point that they actually have more infromation on them than the catcher. The catcher knows what she sees about the batter and knows more intimately than the coach what the pitcher is delivering on a given day and what she is not, and what the umpire is giving and what the umpire is not.

Aug 17, 2010
pop time...

Just figured I would throw my 2 cents in here. My daughter just attended a National Camp in Florida where she was evaluated on various aspects. She is a 12 year old and her official pop time written in her evaluation was 1.81, and that is throwing from her knees. Out of 4 throws, 2 were standing and 2 were from the knees. Seems as though the throws from her knees were the quicker times. Also, one of her critiques was to keep her backside lower when receiving the ball (to throw from her feet). She was taught to get in an "action" stance. However, when throwing from her knees she receives the ball in a more crouched stance. What she works on now is going with the pitch when throwing down to any base, i.e...high pitch standing, in the strike zone and lower from her knees. We play mainly 14u and some 16u and I can tell you that if the pitcher keeps the pitch where she can handle it, nobody steals on her....lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06