pop time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I see a lot more kids throwing from their knees. I'll tell you the same thing I tell their coaches. Go kneel behind home plate and throw 30 throws to 2nd base. How's the shoulder feel? Do you think that is healthy for a young lady who might want to actually carry her children someday?

-W

Aug 17, 2010
Like I said in my post, she is taught to do both. She goes with whichever is more comfortable to her with that pitch. About 90% of the throws are from her feet, which she still turns out times in the low 1.8's to 1.9 depending on where the pitch is located.....

Aug 17, 2010
and if it is done correctly, the throw from the knees is not only using the shoulder!! Ii is using her core, body, hips and still getting a push from the right leg (on a right hand throw). In order to only use your arm to throw to second the kid would have to be upright with both knees together, facing the bag. I dont believe I have ever seen a kid throw the ball that way...and if so, they need to choose another sport! It would be no different than throwing feet together facing the base standing!! Its all about proper mechanics....both ways

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
and if it is done correctly, the throw from the knees is not only using the shoulder!! Ii is using her core, body, hips and still getting a push from the right leg (on a right hand throw). In order to only use your arm to throw to second the kid would have to be upright with both knees together, facing the bag. I dont believe I have ever seen a kid throw the ball that way...and if so, they need to choose another sport! It would be no different than throwing feet together facing the base standing!! Its all about proper mechanics....both ways

Any pix or video of her stance? I'm curious to see what kind of position she's in to be able to block. If she's really that quick to 2B, then she's going to have far more PB/WP blocking opportunities than attempted steals!

Aug 17, 2010
Absolutely.... I will try to post a clip of her tomorrow. Her blocking is a work in progress!!! Although, RARELY any balls get passed her unless they are out of her reach, her mechanics need work!!! She relies on picking them out of the rather that "blocking" them, which we are working on. The only balls that generally get by her are ones that she sets up for, say an outside pitch and tge pitcher misses in the dirt way inside!! Although, there is an added difficulty to that cause Both of our pitchers are throwing from 58mph to 61-62mph...

hen

Dec 1, 2010
I went to the NFCA camp in Colorado last summer and they were asking the girls to at least try picks to 1B from the knees. Can't recall if they asked to see any down to 2B so it may be worthwhile to at least practice the throws from the knees.

In my experience times to 2b can be shorter when going to the knees for balls at the thighs or below (for the batter) around the middle of the catcher's body (left to right). If they have to reach up or far from their body it's usually faster to go up. With enough practice the mph dropoff isn't too great and the quickness can make up for it. It's pretty humorous watching them try to get a high outside pitch and get to their knees with it...

P.S. I personally like picking fastballs as you can do stuff like this pretty reliably with a hard throwing pitcher and some practice =D
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | SF@ATL Gm 3: McCann throws out Torres at third - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | STL@CHC: Molina picks off Theriot at first base - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06