PONY question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
This is about dead ball area.
I will set this up, From the the front corner of the far end of the dugout from home plate is a line that goes out to the outfield. This is dead ball area. The front of the dugout is in play
The play was there was a pop fly by the dugout. The first basemen runs over to catch the ball. The player catches the ball by the dugout and runs into the front of the dugout the glove and ball are in front of the dugout. The players left leg when she hits the dugout goes around the corner of the dugout where the dead ball line was. The home plate umpire rules this a catch and then a dead ball. When questioning the umpire he starts to say if the player catches the ball in the field of play and there momentum and I stop him and said your right if your momentum carry's the "ball" out of play. He then change what he was going to say and tried to tell us something different.
Does any know what the rule is for a dead ball area ? Is it the ball or the player or both that have to be out of play ?

Thanks

Jun 22, 2008
Pony point of emphasis 20 has a statement in it about the player stepping into dead ball territory, so it is the player, not the ball. That would make Pony the same as every other rule set I am aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55