political help needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Let me start with a little background. My DD plays 12B. Two of our coaches are parents of the 2 other pitchers. My DD and one of our catchers always work together during her pitching lessons. They have great chemistry, but both move at a slow pace. One of coaches told me that they are going to cut back on their playing together because of their pace. The head coach does not have a kid who pitches. Is this coach trying to undermine my kid or am I looking too much into this? I really don't want to be that parent who complains and I'd never do anything to jeopardize my daughter's game, but something doesn't seem right. This same coach also wants to have my DD pitch relief instead of starting because she always does well in relief. Well, she does pretty good when she starts too. What do you think?

Impossible to determine the coaches' motives. My guess is this - The theory that your DD is better in relief is a made-up story to help her accept or buy into a new rule. I call BS on that. But I doubt the coaches are intentionally undermining your daughter, but they might not think she's as good as their daughters, or as good as you think she is. And they may or may not be accurate in that assessment. Most coaches are fair, IMO. Most of those who are not fair come by it naturally, meaning they just lack objectivity or the ability to fairly assess players. It's rare that coaches put their daughters first when they know they don't deserve it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
let the coach, coach, and you as a parent, be a parent...(fan). It is much more enjoyable this way.

Hard to do, but true. I'm watching my DD on a new team this season. And while it's not the first time I've been ''just a parent,'' it's the first time that I don't have a fairly close relationship with the coach. We're knew. There are lots of things I'd like to tell him or point out, like how this one girl has made 5 errors and my DD has made none, and perhaps my DD should not sit out as much as that one does. Or that IMHO she's the best first baseman on the team. Or how, despite going 3-for-17 last weekend that she's still hitting .385, which might justify that she bat higher in the lineup.

But it's better to watch and let it play out. It's part of the game - the player competes and lets the cards fall as they may. I'm not part of that game. My role is to watch and encourage. Except in cases of abuse and sportsmanship, it doesn't matter what I think.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
let the coach, coach, and you as a parent, be a parent...(fan). It is much more enjoyable this way.

In order for this to be true and work, the coach has to be able to coach and do what's best for the team. If they can't then the statement about letting a coach do the coaching and parents do the watching doesn't hold any water at all.

Apr 1, 2011
At any point has the coach discussed the pace issue with you or DD?

Are you having umpires during games complain about the pace? (I have seen it before).

Head coach hasn't said anything to me. This came from his assistant who said that they'd talked about it.

Apr 1, 2011
Kind of strange comment. Exactly how "slow" is "slow"?

For a 12U-B pitcher, the catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher, and then the pitcher throws the ball. What else is happening?

12U softball pitching isn't MLB baseball pitching.

The specific comment came after a game in which we were the visiting team and were down by 1 run with 9 minutes left on the clock. The coach pulled her for a different pitcher. I actually thought he'd pulled her just because she'd faced each hitter twice and had just walked the first hitter of the inning. I thought he was just trying to mix up the hitters. The pace is not ungodly slow, but I can see where it wasn't ideal in that situation. I just don't like that they won't pair her with her catcher to start a game anymore because of it.

Apr 1, 2011
Thank yocoach. I just wasn't sure how to handle the situation should it come to a point where I think she's being put into difficult situations whereas the other AC's coaches kids are being dealt a better hand. In the end, the kid can pitch (not just daddy talk) and it's probably all going to work out fine. I just don't know when or if there is ever an appropriate time to air my concerns to the HC. I really like the HC and the team. I do not want to cause any problems for my DD.

Jun 7, 2013
Having two girls who pitch, I can definitely sympathize with your situation. However, in my years of
involvement with fastpitch softball I have never seen a "Political" battle won. Usually, the contention
works against your daughter's involvement with the team. What I have done in these situations was
find my daughters a better place to play. They are both currently in situations where they will get
the most circle time on their respective teams.

Sep 10, 2013
Having two girls who pitch, I can definitely sympathize with your situation. However, in my years of
involvement with fastpitch softball I have never seen a "Political" battle won. Usually, the contention
works against your daughter's involvement with the team. What I have done in these situations was
find my daughters a better place to play. They are both currently in situations where they will get
the most circle time on their respective teams.

I agree with RC's input. in my DD's case, i was diplomatic for 1.5 years and when it became clear that my DD wasn't going to get much mound time, despite being better (stats don't lie), it was time to move. She was also told to come in relief because she was needed to hold down any bleeding that came from the starters - total BS. If the starters did well, DD was on the bench.

you'll need to make the decision to cross that bridge when you get there.
Someone in this forum once mentioned. You need to have your DD be in a team where she is appreciated and her talents utilized. It doesn’t matter if the team is not that good. What’s the use of winning 1st if your DD’s role was bench warmer?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
The specific comment came after a game in which we were the visiting team and were down by 1 run with 9 minutes left on the clock. ...
What is the time limit and how many innings do they normally get in with your DD starting? Do they have pitching changes pre-planned based on number of innings?

I would also be leery of the AC's agenda. However, it is conceivable they're trying to get in more innings. DD was on a team that averaged 5-6 innings in 1:20 drop dead with one pitcher and only 3-4 with another pitcher that worked slow and typically had long counts with lots of walks and K's.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The pitchers pace affects the whole team. If you have what amounts to a human rain delay on the mound the fielders get lulled into inaction. My dd used to be so slow we never got a whole game in. The other kids get frustrated if with pitcher A then only get to bat once because they only play 3 innings, but with pitcher B they get up 3 times and play 7 innings. My dd started to pick up the pace and her pitching improved dramatically.