political help needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2011
Let me start with a little background. My DD plays 12B. Two of our coaches are parents of the 2 other pitchers. My DD and one of our catchers always work together during her pitching lessons. They have great chemistry, but both move at a slow pace. One of coaches told me that they are going to cut back on their playing together because of their pace. The head coach does not have a kid who pitches. Is this coach trying to undermine my kid or am I looking too much into this? I really don't want to be that parent who complains and I'd never do anything to jeopardize my daughter's game, but something doesn't seem right. This same coach also wants to have my DD pitch relief instead of starting because she always does well in relief. Well, she does pretty good when she starts too. What do you think?

Oct 10, 2010
I guess it would depend on the results of your daughter and her catcher. If they are winning games, pace shouldn't matter. i would never want my pitchers, even at 12/U throwing to my rhythm and not theirs. Give it a couple of games, and see what happens. Maybe things will fix themselves. No coach likes to lose.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
At any point has the coach discussed the pace issue with you or DD?

Are you having umpires during games complain about the pace? (I have seen it before).

Jun 24, 2013
DD is OK with relief and not getting her preferred C. She will end up in games because she doesn’t take 100 pitches to warm up so it is easier to keep her in reserve.

I would see how it works out before you get upset about it. (DD misses her C. :) She is really good.)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have rarely seen a pitcher with a tempo that is too slow. Conversely I have had many pitchers improve simply by slowing things down. Many pitchers suffer from what I call "bucket dad syndrome" where they develop a very fast tempo that is not sustainable in a game. When we face one of those pitchers we slow things down taking our time with signals and getting into the box. We set the pace and the pitcher becomes flustered and becomes ineffective. Unless the umpire is pushing your DD to pick up the pace I would leave well enough alone.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Kind of strange comment. Exactly how "slow" is "slow"?

For a 12U-B pitcher, the catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher, and then the pitcher throws the ball. What else is happening?

12U softball pitching isn't MLB baseball pitching.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
A lot of good questions posted above. The situation, as you describe it, leaves too much information out as it relates to being 'political' or not. I am always leery when the coaches have pitchers on the team whether they are AC's or HC's since their is more than likely going to be some "Daddy Ball" involved; whether it's intentional or not. If I were in that situation, I would have a wait and see attitude. However, it sounds to me as if the two coaches whose DD's are pitchers are angling to get their kids more circle time hoping that they won't have to put your DD in to relieve them. That's just my opinion.

Sep 10, 2013
i'd observe the next few games and see how much your DD's pitching time is reduced. if it's significant, i'd have a dialog with the HC.

btw, the coach's who have dd's pitching will naturally try to get their DD's more pitching time. happened to my DD and ironically, the better my DD got, the less time she pitched.

Jun 24, 2013
DD is also OK inheriting bad situations, it is one of her strengths. If the coaches do not want their DD to learn the ability all the better for DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse