Playing for two teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
My youngest daughter found a team that we made a commitment to play for but they aren't very good, even after 6 practices. However they are close to my oldest daughter's team, which makes our practice schedule easier.

We received a phone call last night inviting her to come play with another team. They are great and I really liked how their coach sounded. We are going to go see if she lukes the team on Saturday. One team plays ASA, the other plays Nafa. She can play in both teams, practice and game schedules do not over lap at all.

Should I have her try the team and not say anything to her coach until afterwards when we see if she is a good fit or should I let him know? The team we are meeting with on Saturday is a very good team and I was very excited to get that phone call. Like I said, she can play on both teams as their schedules do not overlap, games or practices.

I hate to be wishy washy about a team but I want what is right for her. She is getting frustrated with her current team as they have her as head catcher but are having her pitch as she is their best pitcher. While she enjoys pitching, her heart is in catching.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She should go try the new team and see if she is a fit on the better team. If she is, then get some indication of playing time from the new coach. Make sure your DD is going to get plenty of playing time on the new team.

If everything checks out, then I would tell the old team that your DD is joining a new team, and that you want to continue on the old team. But, in case of a conflict, your DD is going to play for the new team. (There will be scheduling problems...unless you live in AZ or SoCal, there are going to be rainouts.)

My youngest daughter found a team that we made a commitment to play for but they aren't very good, even after 6 practices. However they are close to my oldest daughter's team, which makes our practice schedule easier.

Uh...I'm trying to understand how playing on two teams is going to make your practice schedule easier.

Sep 27, 2015
Sorry, the first team, the one she commited to, is really close to where her sister practices. The second team is 30 minutes away.

None of the games over lap with DD#1's team and DD#2's teams. None of the practices are on the same day. The games that do overlap, are at the same fields so travel won't be hard.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
How long is the commitment on her current team? 6 months, 11 months? I believe in finishing what you start however there are situations where it is better to move on just make sure it is for the right reasons because the softball world is TINY. If you do decide to move, I would explain to the head coach that you are leaving the team but you are willing to give them time to find a replacement unless they would rather you leave immediately.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
I think the biggest problem I could see is it being too much. How old is your daughter? You don't want to wear her out of softball, but you know her best - is this something she would want? Does she understand that she is essentially doubling her time commitment?

The second problem - don't even consider doing anything without being 100% up front with both teams. Decide what you will do in case of conflict and let the coaches know. I would give the 1st coach an easy out to decide s/he doesn't want to carry your dd in this new dynamic. Honesty is good.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My youngest daughter found a team that we made a commitment to play for but they aren't very good....

How do you define 'commitment'? I'm not judging what you're doing, as there are times when leaving a team is necessary, but just wondering about that choice of word. Sounds like it would be more accurate to say ''DD is on a roster with a team, but we haven't made a commitment to them yet.'' Leaving because a team isn't very good is a lack of commitment. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong w/ that.

Sep 27, 2015
How do you define 'commitment'? I'm not judging what you're doing, as there are times when leaving a team is necessary, but just wondering about that choice of word. Sounds like it would be more accurate to say ''DD is on a roster with a team, but we haven't made a commitment to them yet.'' Leaving because a team isn't very good is a lack of commitment. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong w/ that.

There wasn't a time length on the commitment letter. It just said if we leave the team, we do not get our money back. The head coach of the other 12u team (she is on their c team and their b team is made up of a lot of girls who have to move to 14u in the Fall) has said he wants to have my daughter on his 12b team for the Fall and next Spring. However, I don't know how I feel about her playing for a team who is basically stunting her growth this Spring, just to keep her in the same league for her to play fall ball/next year Spring ball.

Not sure if that makes sense or not. The team that called about her last night wants her for their 12a team and has a lot more experience. I just don't want her to not be able to play because I chose to have her switch teams. She wants to go where ever the better level of play is.

Jul 15, 2015
I'm not a fan of team jumping. If you said you were going to play for the first team you stick it out till the end of the season. In this area that would be about August 1st. At that point you switch teams. That said if team a is off and team b needs a player I have no problem with her playing with team b. One of my pitchers was on a different team last year. When she wasn't playing with them she came and played with us. When the season ended she joined us full time. If the a level team really wants her they won't have a problem waiting. They will respect that you are honoring your original commitment and know when you join their club they won't have to worry about you team jumping on them. If team b's coach has a problem with that then I wouldn't want my kid joining that team.

I'm also not a fan of parents saying this coach is holding my kid back. Parents need to do a better job of researching the teams they put their kids on. Say the coach stinks. So why did you put your kid on that team? Did you do your research? It worries me you are ready to team jump based on how a coach sounded on the phone. I would be careful. You burn to many bridges you may be driving more then 30 minutes to find a team that will take your daughter.

Sep 27, 2015
We are meeting with the coach that called about her on Saturday to see if she likes the coach and the team. Over the phone he sounded very knowledgeable and like a good coach. But that doesn't mean when we get there, we will like him.

Her current coach isn't holding her back, he is a very nice man who is doing the best he can with the team he has. He didn't really get to pick any of the girls, most were the ones that did not make the B team. I chose to not move my daughter to the B team as a good chunk of the players are the same height, if not taller than I am and at least double my daughter's weight. To me the size difference was not worth the risk, especially with some of the girls being three years older than her. However when given the option of the two, I did not know the other team was so inexperienced or I would maybe not have joined it. Nothing is set in stone until we actually go to a practice or two with the other team as it is not something I take lightly. My youngest wants to play college ball so being able to play with the best of the best is very important to her.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
However, I don't know how I feel about her playing for a team who is basically stunting her growth this Spring, just to keep her in the same league for her to play fall ball/next year Spring ball.

I'm confused. Her current team is a league team?

I think if your daughter is wanting to play on a stronger team, then I'd have a talk w/ the current coach and explain the situation, that your DD is not happy, she wants to play on a stronger team, sorta put the blame on yourself, that you like the current team, families and coaches are great, but you're afraid it's not a good fit. See the coach's response.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp