Pitching Workouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have been following this thread but do not recall if this has been mentioned.

DD’s and our practice ends with DD trying to hit a ball off a tee. I am not going to say what size ball but I will say it is a lot bigger than a softball. Once she can hit the current ball off the tee 7 out of 10 we are going to change to a smaller ball.

It is fun.

Jul 26, 2010
I agree we will never all "agree" on the magic formula. But as an old pitcher there is only so much you can do to increase speed, not everyone has it.

Just my opinion but I'd much rather take a fireball natural speed pitcher and teach control, than to take a control pitcher with the "hopes" of him/her picking up the needed speed to be successful.

More important is understanding the growth cycle for the particular kid.

A lot of young ladies who are fed happy meals when they are young, get quite the dose of hormones, hit puberty at 9, tower over their teammates at 12, and are pitching 10mph faster then their peers. Suddenly by 14, their peers have also had their growth spurts and caught up and in many cases, grown taller and stronger then the kid who peaked at 12. These "normal (or late)" bloomers have had to work really hard to keep up with the early growers. The early growers had it easy. So often by 15 the kids that peak later have better mechanics and work ethic, because that's what they had to rely on to get by.

Now, by sophomore/junior year in high school, absolutely take the fireball pitcher. Just don't get caught in the trap of thinking that flamethrower at 12 has any more future potential to anyone else.

-W

stv

May 12, 2010
Dmso

Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
Have you tried DMSO?

I didn't think DMSO was sold any more. I used it back in high school on my shoulders and knees! Would get a nasty taste in your mouth about 30 seconds after you applied it!

DMSO DMSO: Many Uses, Much Controversy

Ok who uses it???????????? and can it carry H2O2 ?

For the record DD99 (based on research) we do not ice unless for injury, we warm up and warm down of course this is when we used to practice. Now that school has started her playing school VB, practice daily until 6pm home by 6:30 then
eat, shower, loads of home work, reading, math, stems etc....

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Ok who uses it???????????? and can it carry H2O2 ?

It can carry everything it is mixed with... even dirt from the applicators hand down thru the seven layers of skin. I can almost go with your link...almost, and let me assure you that there are thousands of links that hold to the fearless position I hold.

This information is not intended to replace the advice and treatment of a physician who specializes in the treatment of diseases. Any use of the information set forth herein is entirely at the reader’s discretion. The author is not responsible for any adverse effects or consequences resulting from the use of any of the preparations or procedures described. The statements made herein are for educational and theoretical purposes only, and based IMO.
You should always consult with a health care practitioner before taking any dietary, nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, or before beginning or stopping any therapy. The author is not intending to provide any medical advice or offer a substitute thereof, and makes no warranty whatsoever, whether expressed or implied, with respect to any product, device or therapy.
Except as otherwise noted, no statement on this website has been reviewed or approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration or the Federal Trade Commission. Readers should use their own judgment and discretion, or consult a holistic medical expert or their personal physicians for specific applications to their individual issues or problems

I would only use it for the delivery of the "remedy" to the spot of an injury. I would never use ICE... nor want to be responsible for doing so. I do confess that the only recommendation for applications that I use is for my DD, and her mother would shoot me. Also DD is very aware of research available on the internet, and prefers Google search. In order to extend our relationship into adulthood, I must be correct and or subscribe to large bodies if solid research, but not be influenced by so called common knowledge before insisting on her direction in any matter.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
More important is understanding the growth cycle for the particular kid.

A lot of young ladies who are fed happy meals when they are young, get quite the dose of hormones, hit puberty at 9, tower over their teammates at 12, and are pitching 10mph faster then their peers. Suddenly by 14, their peers have also had their growth spurts and caught up and in many cases, grown taller and stronger then the kid who peaked at 12. These "normal (or late)" bloomers have had to work really hard to keep up with the early growers. The early growers had it easy. So often by 15 the kids that peak later have better mechanics and work ethic, because that's what they had to rely on to get by.

Now, by sophomore/junior year in high school, absolutely take the fireball pitcher. Just don't get caught in the trap of thinking that flamethrower at 12 has any more future potential to anyone else.

-W

Nice post as always Star.

We also have to keep in account game time. That ace flamethrower will usually pitch the majority of the games young. Not only does this give her pitching time advantage but defensive play advantage. She gets the experience of "what to do". She learns how to pitch to the vast amount of hitters. Dead pull hitters, slappers, bunters, opposite field hitters, contact hitters, power hitters. Each one has to be approached with a different sequence of pitches as youre trying to induce a pop up, slow grounder, K, or hit into a double play.

She also has the defensive experience of hands on in just about every possible situation. Every play, put out, assist, double play, etc. It becomes more reaction than pitchers with less game time who must "think" on their feet. Sometimes the split second to think is enough to cost you that out, run, or game.

Just my 2 pennies.

Jul 26, 2010
Cool thing about humans, is that they're self healing. Treat the body right and it will respond in kind, and that includes warmup, cool-down, and diet. Anything beyond that goes to the realm of treating injuries, in which a trained sports medicine doctor should be consulted.

-W

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
SoCalSoftballdad... comeon man show up, with your stuff... I've had to go "holistic medical expert" while waiting and nobody wants to play with me....Their calling for the doctors already... I'll give YOU the gold as promised. Guess I'll have to freeze my gold bars until tomorrow...

Apr 13, 2010

We also have to keep in account game time. That ace flamethrower will usually pitch the majority of the games young. Not only does this give her pitching time advantage but defensive play advantage. She gets the experience of "what to do". She learns how to pitch to the vast amount of hitters. Dead pull hitters, slappers, bunters, opposite field hitters, contact hitters, power hitters. Each one has to be approached with a different sequence of pitches as youre trying to induce a pop up, slow grounder, K, or hit into a double play.

She also has the defensive experience of hands on in just about every possible situation. Every play, put out, assist, double play, etc. It becomes more reaction than pitchers with less game time who must "think" on their feet. Sometimes the split second to think is enough to cost you that out, run, or game.

Just my 2 pennies.

The girls who are lagging behind in growth can get the innings if they look for them. The problem is that many of the "elite" teams convince them it's better to be on their team than to pitch on that other team.

You want to pitch, always take the pitching spot. They'll eventually regret that they passed you over when you beat them.

Jul 26, 2010

Just my 2 pennies.

I agree. Playing time is king. Luckily there are lots of tiers for kids to find the playing time. The only time I disagree with this is 10u and under. I don't find pitching in 10u to be advantageous to a pitchers growth, but others may disagree with me here.

As for the pitching tactics. . . I prefer a cerebral picture, but unfortunately most coaches take this out of the game and insist on calling the pitches. The pitcher still needs to know the situation and the count and understand how far out of the zone to place the called pitch, but I don't think this is something that is missed by not playing top tier A ball for 2 extra years.

If the pitcher can pitch the pitch that is called to the spot that is called with 80% accuracy during a game, she'll get plenty of playing time once she finds the right team.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd