Pitching Workouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I’ve kind of used what I considered a common since approach to icing.

When daughter pitched a number of pitches, or complained of pain or stiffness and the possibility exist that she may or will have to pitch more, we ice if needed. I think this keeps the inflammation down, keeps the muscles loose and helps her when she is called on to pitch later in the day.

When daughter is through for the day, we apply heat to promote blood flow and healing and only when needed.

Sometimes she will say she is ok and needs neither.

Now I have no data or studies to say this is the way to do it seems to work for daughter.

I think Amy made a good point earlier, I like control first and then speed. At the younger age control gets you in the game and at the older age speed keeps you there JMO. :)

Jul 17, 2012
I think Amy made a good point earlier, I like control first and then speed. At the younger age control gets you in the game and at the older age speed keeps you there JMO. :)
It seems like there are advocates of both. Velocity first, accuracy later and accuracy first, velocity later. I really don't know which way to go on this, and to debate it would most likely end up at the chicken vs. egg argument. No clear cut way to define the "right" answer. So I guess what I've found myself doing with DD is simply promoting the proper motion. We work on 1 or 2 things per session. If we're working on weight back, and leading with the elbow, that's what we focus on. She'll often get a "Good" when she throws a ball 2 feet off the plate. She'll even say, that was terrible, it wasn't good. And I'll tell her, you did what we're working on and had good speed, but you stepped 6 inches left of center and closed your hips... thats why the ball sailed left. But to try and focus on every tiny aspect on every pitch, in my opinion is almost impossible for a beginer. There's just too much stuff. If she continually does something wrong in a session that we're not working on, I'll mention it and it's likely that climbs the list of priorities for the next session. Not sure if this is a good approach or not.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
But to try and focus on every tiny aspect on every pitch, in my opinion is almost impossible for a beginer.
Unless you do it in 5 ft. or just up to her neck of water. At the Pool. Continually doing it perfect in slow motion, and then with eyes closed. (read talent code) But hurry up with this step, as it caused me alot of trouble @ the YMCA after being badgered countless times to get her to join the swim team, I finally told them that I do not agree with constant absorption of chlorine in to the largest organ of her body. I proved it to DD with the experiment on her hair. She end up having to have it cut, thus losing the ponytail, that I use to calibrate her mechanics.

Since common sense has been introduced in this thread as the response to the body giving a the red alert (inflammation) as a visual of your negligence to the promptings of pain... for others to see. Common sense says that she needs the confidence to first not put the same red spots of warning on the batters. Once she knows she can safely do that , she will start throwing harder on her own.
Spot,Spin,Speed then Scholarship. Also, have her get A's so the academic moneys kick in, and you can get the full ride, and they can use the extra money to buy ICE...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think Amy made a good point earlier, I like control first and then speed. At the younger age control gets you in the game and at the older age speed keeps you there JMO

I agree we will never all "agree" on the magic formula. But as an old pitcher there is only so much you can do to increase speed, not everyone has it.

Just my opinion but I'd much rather take a fireball natural speed pitcher and teach control, than to take a control pitcher with the "hopes" of him/her picking up the needed speed to be successful.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Just my opinion but I'd much rather take a fireball natural speed pitcher and teach control, than to take a control pitcher with the "hopes" of him/her picking up the needed speed to be successful.

I see what your saying.... I could do that too, twice as fast as most. But with twice the investment of time, an to much political linkage required.

there is only so much you can do to increase speed, not everyone has it.
Back to the five scenes.... I'll give U 2 "Touching & Hearing Speed"
I have DD catch... I keep her out of the " greatest catching coaches clutches" by demanding that she only catches with her fielding glove. We always carry her equipment with us. Even though we don't adhere to catching processes, she always gets called upon ....

I swear I just now got a text from a coach, while I'm typing this who wants her to come to a private tryout tonight @ 6 to catch.... She gets calls as far up as 14U...she is 10U. She caught her first 14U two years ago...not a pitcher, but a SS. The coaches like her to be there when they know that they are not picking up the girl....that way the parents see for there self what they are looking for... They always say How old is she.... This is how I know about the girls not wanting to hurt each other... even in a P-Tryout, I usually have to walk out to 2nd base, and throw her one for them to see, even after the coach tells them I want to see your arm...

Anyways she has build her rep from center jump catches, saving umpires, and giving the girl who just got hit a hug.... then the throw back to the pitcher afterwards that causes her to flinch in fear, wondering how many more DD will throw back like that. Only one if girl don't cry...
She can feel the speed in her glove, and hears it crack catching...but she also a has a total reproach for the unsuccessful speed approach. There are lots of them...business is good !

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010

That's why after 6 tryouts no one wanted my kid on their team. Size and Speed is all anyone really wants.

Jul 17, 2012
She end up having to have it cut, thus losing the ponytail, that I use to calibrate her mechanics.
I'm thinking I shouldn't ask!!

Common sense says that she needs the confidence to first not put the same red spots of warning on the batters. Once she knows she can safely do that , see will start throwing harder on her own.
Ahhh yes. How true. Were you at our Fall Ball practice last night? We had a little intersquad scrimmage of sorts to let the pitchers throw to hitters. I warmed her up, she threw 5-10 pitches right into my glove. The misses were not too aweful bad either. One of the other coaches commented on how well she was pitching for a beginner. Introduce a batter, and anyone that watched from that point on would think it was her first day with her new arm, and she never even saw a softball, nevermind throw one!! I am almost done constructing an artificial batter statue. (Thanks for the idea RDBass) Still needs paint. Wife also volunteered to occasionally stand in the box. (Not sure if that's a good idea!!!)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2011
GA
No sir, never tried it. Any personal accounts or opinions?

I used it alot growing up. My mom kept it in a mason jar. She would put a little on a cotton ball and rub it on my shoulder, knee, etc. After about 30 seconds you would get a terrible taste in your mouth. It worked really well for sorness, etc. My mom was a pitcher and she used it too. I thought they stopped selling it a long time ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26