Pitching speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I think a good tangent discussion would be around "late" break. What unique aspect of the pitch induces late break versus a consistent early break.

In catching so many pitchers as i have it always amazes me those pitchers i need to really pay attention to catching compared to those i could close my eyes on because i know where the ball is going to end up after the first 5 feet out of the hand. (Same speeds so must be spin angle and velocity)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
RB,
When thinking about those who you could close your eyes and catch, do they get as much break as the others?

I don't believe there is any magic to "late break." I think good spin and good speed will appear to break late and fast. It seems like angle/trajectory helps the perception. Good spin and slower speed give a more predictable arc. I can't imagine there is any way go get a ball to suddenly bite. For me, good spin is defined and having good revs with an axis perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I wonder if less-than-perfect spin has a narrower arc which makes it appear to travel straight for the first 3/4's, but when the eye/brain realizes the break, he perception is that it was "late?" Just a thought.

Dec 7, 2011
RB,
When thinking about those who you could close your eyes and catch, do they get as much break as the others?

I don't believe there is any magic to "late break." I think good spin and good speed will appear to break late and fast. It seems like angle/trajectory helps the perception. Good spin and slower speed give a more predictable arc. I can't imagine there is any way go get a ball to suddenly bite. For me, good spin is defined and having good revs with an axis perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I wonder if less-than-perfect spin has a narrower arc which makes it appear to travel straight for the first 3/4's, but when the eye/brain realizes the break, he perception is that it was "late?" Just a thought.

Ya actually I think they CAN get the same amount of overall break or even sometimes the "gradual-breakers" can get their pitch to even break further than the "late-breakers".

My thoughts are that there is a magic balance between pitch velocity and then the rpm's on the ball, and then INCLUDE the axis of the spin. For some few pitchers it turns into those ones ya just don't like catching and those pitchers are many time the K pitchers.

Just my opinion - got no math to back it up.....

Mar 6, 2013
spin and axis is the key for all movement pitches. Since rise ball has to fight gravity speed is even more essential.
Speed is also essential for deception.
I know this was old discussion but you can really make 32mph /11inch changeup at 10U level move more than six inches with good spin( my DD does it all the time with flip change).
While this may work with 9 and 10 year olds, 12 year old can easily catch-up with that and hit hard.
So speed is also essential at higher ages and good batters.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Aw Ken,,, now ya went and did it. Now you have to take the next two hours and explain what 'Good form'. She's new so explain in detail.

I'm gonna go make some popcorn, maybe re-paint the house while you finish that novel. LOL

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
All RB forgot was trajectory. Forward velocity, axis of spin, RPM all contribute to break. Slight changes in trajectory matched with the other variables creates a "late" break

Disagree? Physics of different flights of a frisbee helps to understand

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
All RB forgot was trajectory. Forward velocity, axis of spin, RPM all contribute to break. Slight changes in trajectory matched with the other variables creates a "late" break

Disagree? Physics of different flights of a frisbee helps to understand

So Adair's curve ball explanation is flawed?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse