Pitching speed help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2012
My DD is 13 and has been pitching for about 2-2 1/2 years. Started lessons about 1 1/2 years ago. Has always been taught to throw hard first and dont try to control the ball. Trust your mechanics. she has 5-6 good pitchs but is super slow. Any drills or taughts to get in her head to help speed her up? Thanks

Dec 20, 2012
My DD is 13 and has been pitching for about 2-2 1/2 years. Started lessons about 1 1/2 years ago. Has always been taught to throw hard first and dont try to control the ball. Trust your mechanics. she has 5-6 good pitchs but is super slow. Any drills or taughts to get in her head to help speed her up? Thanks

You are going to be asked this sooner or later, do you have a video of her pitching? There is so much that can attribute to speed or the lack of. If you could post a video there are numerous members that will help you out all they can.

Try long pitch:Start from pitchers plate,pitch 5 then move back 5 feet and pitch 5 then continue 5 feet and five pitches till she can't reach home plate.She should be at about the edge of infield.Then start moving up toward home 5 feet and five pitches till she gets back to pitchers plate.I saw the Great Lisa Frenandez do this all the way from center field at 15 years old.!!!That was an awesome show.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
While long pitch is a great tool...lets make sure her mechanics are sound first, before we move forward with any kind of new drills.
What is her current fastball speed?
5-6 good pitches... what's that mean? Are you saying she's got decent spin and movement, but is just lacking the extra speed?

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If her mechanics are questionable, I wuold not try long toss, she can hurt herself. I would go with the run through drill. NOT the walk through, thee RUN through drill.

We have very minimal data to go on right now. A video would be helpful.

Dec 22, 2012
Hit by pitch i feel your pain. She is faster at practice. But still not fast. She throws 2 and 4 seem fastballs and hits inside and outside corners. Flip, horse shoe and circle change along with a drop ball.(5 pitchs) San we do the distance drill she is easily in the outfield and getting to the plate pretty arched. she has always had a strong arm over hand and throws with great accurace over handed. I really think this is a mental thing. I see girls just as skinny as she is throwing heat. Is speed just a matter of throwing 100 pitchs everyday? or is it in her head?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1