Pitching Rubber Ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Looking for a solution for a Pitching Rubber for use on an indoor turf field. Its not the carpet turf, it's the stuff with the little rubber pellets. The way the field is designed, the various pitching distances are just painted on the turf. Looking for an option to create a pitching plate that will not move all over the place without having to drag a full pitching mat around with us.

Any thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am wondering if you could secure a board somehow? I just throw them down for clinics, but I think that you want more than that. I went to Lowes and got a piece of shelving the right width and had them cut it into 4 pitching plates, for me.

Feb 21, 2012
Jennie Finch's name is on the ProMounds product line. They make a "mini" mat. You could google Jennie Finch Mini-Mat and find it at multiple vendors I think. I have no idea if its good to put on top of an existing field turf. The pictures show them on a gym floor.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Look on Amazon for a pitching rubber. You'll find a green turf pad that's about 3' wide and 2' deep. It has attached a 24"x 6" white rubber on it. It weighs about 25lbs. Works great. It can be had for about $40...

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Look on Amazon for a pitching rubber. You'll find a green turf pad that's about 3' wide and 2' deep. It has attached a 24"x 6" white rubber on it. It weighs about 25lbs. Works great. It can be had for about $40...

My DDs high school has the turf you are talking about on the football field. What coach james is describing is the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post. Basically the same as a full roll out mat, but just cut much shorter and lighter. I think that would work without sliding, etc.

Aug 20, 2013
If you think Velcro will stick to it, then a simple rubber for 10 bucks and some industrial velcro is all you need. Best of luck!

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
We don't have any experience with one, but there is a temporary pitcher's plate available at Turf Bases | Soft Touch
Seems real expensive for what it is, but it might work on an in-fill type field. Not very secure, but at least it gives something to drive off. Maybe you could make something like this at home (glue some spikes to the bottom of an inexpensive pitcher's plate).