Pitching Rubber Ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
No GG... I don't think Velcro would adhere at all. Star...that looks like exactly what I had in mind....but there's no way I'm paying ~ $300 for a pitching rubber. Maybe I can make something similar. Can drill a bunch of holes in a 24"X6" piece of wood and poke some semi stiff rubber/plastic nail type gadgets through the holes. Almost like rubber nails. (Just need to figure out if such a gadget exists)Nails would work, but the last think I need is for it to flip over and have someone step/fall on a spike board!!

Jul 17, 2012
I forget what age group you have, but can't they pitch the way it is, for no longer than you will be inside?

12U team... and sure they can, and they have. I just figured maybe there was an inexpensive/effective option to give them a rubber to pitch from. In northeast PA, we're inside from November through at least mid March.

Aug 20, 2013
I made a non slip mat for about $35. I took a rubber and velcro'ed it to a $20 mat from Home Depot. It doesn't move at all on concrete or carpet, so this might work for you. I will snap a pic when we practice today and share.

Apr 11, 2013
We used the 3 spike rubber pitching plates ( they are terrible by the way) without the spikes attached, then added non slip strips like you would add to stairs to keep from slipping. Works like a charm on turf. Doesn't give at all.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Here's what I did. I took some sheet rock screws and screwed them through the pitching plate in 8-10 locations. They stick out about 3/4" through the bottom of pitching plate. Use 1-1/4" length screws. I set it down on the turf and it stays pretty good.

Jul 26, 2010
No GG... I don't think Velcro would adhere at all. Star...that looks like exactly what I had in mind....but there's no way I'm paying ~ $300 for a pitching rubber. Maybe I can make something similar. Can drill a bunch of holes in a 24"X6" piece of wood and poke some semi stiff rubber/plastic nail type gadgets through the holes. Almost like rubber nails. (Just need to figure out if such a gadget exists)Nails would work, but the last think I need is for it to flip over and have someone step/fall on a spike board!!

Maybe you could glue a piece from a boot scraper mat or something on the bottom of a nail-down rubber? Sometimes they have similar patterns.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach