pitching machine or no pitching machine? whats your theory?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
They have their use. Good for practicing hitting different speeds and adjusting timing. Bad if someone thinks that pitching machine hitting automatically translates to game hitting. tee for mechanics. Machine for timing. Live pitching for actually being a hitter. I use all three depending on what we are working on. The only standard drill/technique I am dead set against is side toss, unless you want to try to ruin timing and mechanics at the same time, then side toss is awesome.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I use them with combination of tee work and live pitching. When we do cage work I rent out two cages for two hours. Because of divider nets in cage I can run two stations in one net generally bunting and soft toss into a bownet,and pitching machine in another cage. We maximize the cages as much as we can for optimal results Machine is great for quicker hands.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree that pitching machines can be used correctly. My complaint is that generally they are not. The cage at the park sits between the two fields. Constantly rec coaches have the speed dialed up and kids are thrashing away, like they are playing tennis. My top pitcher broke her hand in there. (True story)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
While I have used a pitching machine years ago, I have no want for one now. My preferred batting practice is me pitching from behind a net roughly 20 feet in front of them. I try to only have 3-4 hitters there to rotate at a time.

Feb 3, 2011
Agreed that it's a tool. Using the machine every once in a while gives the coaches an additional look at what their batters are doing against simulated game speed pitching. It's just a small part of hitting practice.

The only standard drill/technique I am dead set against is side toss, unless you want to try to ruin timing and mechanics at the same time, then side toss is awesome.

Side toss is acceptable for swing/reaction work....just not as a pre-game drill. All warm-ups should be front toss.

Feb 3, 2011
Trust me, we do every type of hitting, and front toss is just not "heavy" or intimidating enough.

Yeah, excellent contact is what I want not perfect form....wow.

We coaches sure do micro manage hitting, too....The results show the form to me, not the other way around. I typically have groups work on the same skill in hitting so they don't get self conscious and over think.

Gosh, is it fun to coach by standing there and picking each girl apart, correcting them.....That is one reason when we use a tee, it is often with the field behind, so they think results not poses. You wonder why the players think talking to the coach is like going to detention.
Every program has different goals, different methods of execution, and different personnel who respond in their own unique ways to various coaching styles.

Just because you've had some bad experiences or observed a lot of things you don't like doesn't mean that some kid, somewhere isn't benefiting from them.

I want each batter to go into the box with a plan and then execute that plan. Helping the player to develop her strategies prior to getting to the box and then encouraging her to key on it isn't micro-managing. It's coaching. Your mileage may vary.

Jan 22, 2011
What did I say about strategies? I was responding to someone who posted that you can't use a machine unless you stand there and correct their mechanics. I also never mentioned any bad experiences that I have had. I just hear from this board and parents that they hate their HS coaches (exact quote I just got from a mom at my real job), and they especially hate being corrected from what their PIs tell them. My experiences are fine. Wow.

OILF- I'm coaching 8u and I'm just telling you my experience. Was told by someone who has been coaching youth and High School sports for over 30 years he didn't like batting cages for batting practice because girls get lazy and drop/start with their hands too low to try to just make contact on the faster pitching. What were half the girls on my daughter's all star team doing after 3 batting cage sessions? Starting with their hands too low and whiffing on balls pitched just about their hands during games.

We basically had a coach there reminding them to keep their hands at arm pit level when starting and to swing all the way through the ball.

Jul 4, 2012
JJ, we use it to teach rhythm and timing, and it is more like diagonal toss. We go a few feet up the first base line for a righty. You just need to be careful with one tossed deep and outside. We've had really good results incorporating this between tee work and front toss. We vary the speed and actually tell the hitters - "ok, I'm speeding them up a little". Then on to front toss. Again we have seen it help with rhythm and timing. What problems do you see develop with side toss?

BTW - working with short legs on a Jugs machine is good for working on hitting the rise.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad