Pitching lane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Watching Duke Boston College game.
Jala Wright is landing with her stride foot totally outside the pitching lane. Is that legal? If so what are the lines for?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I get that it looks like her foot is "totally outside the line"...but when she pitches on turf and the lines don't get obliterated after 5 of her warm ups, it does seem like a little part of her toes is still on the line, which is all it takes. I'm sure on dirt she can "get away" with more.

Jun 20, 2015
at least a portion of the pitchers foot must be on the line. yeah, that's a benefit to a big footed pitcher.

Usually, it's a righty pitcher trying to throw a "screw ball", that of course cannot have the correct spin to break that direction, to a righty batter. getting that 'across the plate' pitch angle.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Since we had the conversation on another thread a couple months ago about how NCAA lines are not parallel, but angle outward very slightly, I can't help but notice it when I turn on the games on tv.
Maybe Jala is counting on that extra inch or so of width for her landing foot.

Oct 25, 2009
I get that it looks like her foot is "totally outside the line"...but when she pitches on turf and the lines don't get obliterated after 5 of her warm ups, it does seem like a little part of her toes is still on the line, which is all it takes. I'm sure on dirt she can "get away" with more.
No. Completely out. About 8-10 inches looks like.

Oct 25, 2009
Since we had the conversation on another thread a couple months ago about how NCAA lines are not parallel, but angle outward very slightly, I can't help but notice it when I turn on the games on tv.
Maybe Jala is counting on that extra inch or so of width for her landing foot.
Completely outside the line.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Jala.JPG

jala 2.JPG

This is today's 5th and 7th pitch of the game...I get it. It's super close. But that toe "could" be on the line. And once that line is gone (a few pitches later)... good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207