Pitching coach confronts umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
IME, a Mr. Magoo reference usually at least delays or altogether prevents the automatic ejection that follows a Stevie Wonder comparison, particularly with the younger umpires. And it is particularly amusing when they don't get the reference and have that same look on their face for which Mr. Magoo was known. And yes, this does date me.

A young mid 20 year old ump one time had unreliable strike zone, as a Popeye the sailor man reference, I approached him mid inning and said "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a consistent strike zone today". I could tell it went WAY over his head. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A young mid 20 year old ump one time had unreliable strike zone, as a Popeye the sailor man reference, I approached him mid inning and said "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a consistent strike zone today". I could tell it went WAY over his head. :)

In the interest of getting the obtuse insult correct, its "I'll gladly REpay you....". And it is Wimpy's line, not Popeye's. You're not only green, you're old and forgetful - not the best combination IMO.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In the interest of getting the obtuse insult correct, its "I'll gladly REpay you....". And it is Wimpy's line, not Popeye's. You're not only green, you're old and forgetful - not the best combination IMO.

If I made a reference to "Wimpy", most would consider that a correlation to catchers. I was trying to insult the ump. :)

Mar 28, 2013
Game getting ready to start, Talking with my 12u DD thru the fence before the game. behind her this Umpire who must weigh 400+ pounds and couldn't run if he was on fire waddles out to be the Base Umpire. I see him and say oh no not this pig, My DD yells at the top of her voice PIG? WHERE?. Open mouth insert foot. My DD and I will laugh at this together until they plant me 6 feet under.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
IME, a Mr. Magoo reference usually at least delays or altogether prevents the automatic ejection that follows a Stevie Wonder comparison, particularly with the younger umpires. And it is particularly amusing when they don't get the reference and have that same look on their face for which Mr. Magoo was known. And yes, this does date me.

Around here most of the umps knew mr magoo when he was a boy. One ump I know has shin guards that are almost as old as i am. And I remember mr Magoo

Apr 25, 2010
Well, my mom when she played back in the late 70s early 80s was a pitcher. She called time once while she was pitching and asked the ump where is strike zone was? She didn't get thrown out but, his strike zone got a little smaller.

Your Mom is so sweet, I cannot picture her getting salty with an ump...lol.

May 18, 2009
I almost got kicked out of a game this year watching my youngest DD pitch. She K'd the first 7 batters she faced. Walked the 8th, 9th batter is the top hitter here locally. She get's girl to full count. My DD puts a pitch on the outside edge of the plate. Batter gives a full power swing and misses. Batter turns to walk back to dugout and ump calls ball and tells her to take base. I erupt, the stand erupts, the coach erupts. I had to turn and walk away. My DD came back and struck the next two batters. I consider it striking out 10 of 11 even though the one was awarded base.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
A few years ago my DD struck out looking...she was not happy and had a few choice looks, stares and attitude towards the umpire when she walked away. I was naturally more upset with her reaction and unsportsmanlike behavior. It was so bad I had her call the umpire later that evening to apologize for the way she reacted....

Here is how our end of the phone call went...

Hi, Mr. Smith?....Hi....Um, this is "Mary"...Yeah...Oh, good, how are you...yeah, thanks...Um, well I'm calling cuz I just want to apologize for the way I reacted when you called that ball a strike.....

All I could do was shake my head (lol)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA