Pitching coach confronts umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
My favorite game that still makes me laugh was during a tournament championship. My oldest DD was pitching and shutting down the other team. Coach of other team calls time. Walks out to his batter and does an exaggerated movement and tells the batter the strike zone is from here to here. Air drawing a strike zone about two feet above the girls head to the ground. He followed that up by walking out and drawing glasses on the ground and telling the umpire she needed them. Instead of tossing coach she walked out of the game.

Jul 26, 2010
Make them swing. Pitchers shouldn't rely on called strikes for success. Remove the umpire from the game.

-W

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Realistically how many pitchers outside of elite 16U/18U can throw 3 out of 7 pitches with good movement on the river? Unless the pitcher has serious skills we are sitting on a fatty.

Mar 31, 2014
Realistically how many pitchers outside of elite 16U/18U can throw 3 out of 7 pitches with good movement on the river? Unless the pitcher has serious skills we are sitting on a fatty.
Most pitchers in 12U A/B must do this here with three pitches and when you get to 14U you need to forget your fastball unless you are down 3-0 because fastballs are eaten for breakfast. We play in the Alabama/Tennessee/Georgia/Florida area.

Feb 7, 2013
The stories are awesome keep them coming please

First game of a doubleheader. We are on defense. R1 at second base. Batter fouls off a pitch over our 1st base dugout. Kid retrieves the ball and gives it to our coaches in the dugout. Next pitch, batter hits a line drive single and R1 stops at 3rd base as the throw goes to catcher. Catcher throws ball to pitcher who is just a few feet in front of the pitching circle. As the play is seemingly over, our coaches motion to the plate umpire that we have the ball that was out of play. The umpire waves to us to throw the ball into the catcher so she can give it to him; he is looking at our 1st base dugout the whole time. R1 immediately takes off for home, slides, and is called safe! Our manager goes out to the umpire to argue how can the runner score when play was dead. Umpire says he never called time and the play stands? Manager asks why he motioned for us to throw him the ball. He said he can do two things at once??? Needless to say, our manager goes ballistic and gets tossed. Never seen that type of call before. The prologue is that even the UIC felt bad about the decision and allowed the manager to coach Game 2 that day. Unbelievable the stupidity you see at the ball fields.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I got one a little less theatrical, but the same end result.

Playing the champ game one Sunday, 90 min game, in the last inning score 1-1. One out on us, runner on 1st n 2nd, batter hits a shot to LF, one hops and LF tries to gun the runner at third. I'm coaching 3rd, watching the bag and play as usual. Runner slides as the ball is caught by the base woman, dust flying everywhere. Ump calls my runner out!!

I call time and ask "why"?

"Force out", he replies.

"Blue 3b's feet were not on the bag, she had to step out to make the catch and I can prove it".

"How in the world can you prove it" -ump

"My girl slid pushing all the dirt on the bag, the bag is solid fresh dirt, not one smidgen of a cleat / tennis shoe / or even a dang horseshoe". "Besides that look the 3b's cleat markes, the left cleat impression is 3" off the bag, she stepped off with the right to catch the bad throw" "Look right there" ( as I'm pointing out both )

"Who do you think you are, Sherlock Holmes" -ump

"Well that's better than you Stevie Wonder out here trying to call a game" -me

I said a few more things I shouldn't post on here, and was on my way to my truck.

Edit: ( thought I better add the only wipe mark on the bag was 2b side of the base where my player slid and made contact )

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I got one a little less theatrical, but the same end result.

Playing the champ game one Sunday, 90 min game, in the last inning score 1-1. One out on us, runner on 1st n 2nd, batter hits a shot to LF, one hops and LF tries to gun the runner at third. I'm coaching 3rd, watching the bag and play as usual. Runner slides as the ball is caught by the base woman, dust flying everywhere. Ump calls my runner out!!

I call time and ask "why"?

"Force out", he replies.

"Blue 3b's feet were not on the bag, she had to step out to make the catch and I can prove it".

"How in the world can you prove it" -ump

"My girl slid pushing all the dirt on the bag, the bag is solid fresh dirt, not one smidgen of a cleat / tennis shoe / or even a dang horseshoe". "Besides that look the 3b's cleat markes, the left cleat impression is 3" off the bag, she stepped off with the right to catch the bad throw" "Look right there" ( as I'm pointing out both )

"Who do you think you are, Sherlock Holmes" -ump

"Well that's better than you Stevie Wonder out here trying to call a game" -me

I said a few more things I shouldn't post on here, and was on my way to my truck.

Edit: ( thought I better add the only wipe mark on the bag was 2b side of the base where my player slid and made contact )

IME, a Mr. Magoo reference usually at least delays or altogether prevents the automatic ejection that follows a Stevie Wonder comparison, particularly with the younger umpires. And it is particularly amusing when they don't get the reference and have that same look on their face for which Mr. Magoo was known. And yes, this does date me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA