Pitching Advice Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2010
Hello All,

I have been reading this board for some time now and just recently got to taking some video of my daughter. I was wondering if you might not mind taking a look at her and letting me know some good and bad points of her mechanics at this point. She is just turned 10 and is one of the tallest kids in her age group. She started pitching in the fall during a very short fall ball league so maybe only has 10 or 12 innings of game time. I just recently found a coach in my area that I really like. We have had 4 or 5 lessons so far and the rest has been with me. Some things I see is her forward lean and hand/ball position when approaching her release point. I am hoping some of your knowledge can help. Thank you. Please see the links below.

YouTube - Softball 006.MOV
YouTube - Softball 007.MOV
YouTube - Softball 007.MOV
YouTube - Softball 009.MOV
YouTube - Softball 010.MOV
YouTube - Softball 011.MOV
YouTube - Softball 012.MOV

May 18, 2009
She looks like she's doing good. I think she kicks her drag foot out a little to far. Very slight lean. She's staying open which is great.

The main problem is you need to move some pine trees closer so she doesn't have to shag balls from down the hill;)

Mar 25, 2011
Stride foot

I'd say she looks to be striding across her power line... it is making that back foot appear to really cross over. But that stride foot closing down the thrust is sucking power from her pitch. Yes, definitely looks like a big 10 year old.

Oct 10, 2010
Kev, I have her video...I think you are saying that stepping over the line is "blocking" her strength???

Mar 25, 2011
Yep. But, I'm not a pitching coach, so take that for what it is worth. That line seems to be the key element in not crossing over...and from what I can see in your video, she appears to be crossing that line. It does look like maybe you are pitching slightly away from the wall, but it think you could divide that plate in two, and draw a line in that dirt straight out, and get a good idea of where that toe is coming down.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Well, I'll say this...her top and bottom match. "Purple power forever!"

Anyway:

(A) Her right shoulder doesn't drop. If you throw overhand, you throw "over the shoulder". Therefore, your shoulder goes down at the beginning of throw, and then up as you release. If you throw underhand, you are throwing "under the shoulder". Therefore, the shoulder goes up at the beginning of throw, and then goes *down* immediately prior to release.

Watch carefully Jenny Finch's right shoulder, and notice how she drops her right shoulder.

(B) Her follow through is wrong. She needs to "Internal Rotation" or "IR". This is a video of the great Sarah Pauly. Check out the way her hand turns over at release.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283