Pitching advice for signals/wrist coaches 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My daughter is 9yrs old .
Pitches she can throw are the following, Fastball, Circle changeup,Cup change up,Dropball,Curveball,Screwball,Hit all her Corners.

Have her work on accuracy. Work with her on the change up and control. Honestly, you shouldn't call pitches for her. Let her figure it out for herself. She needs to play "the pitching game" by herself so that she thoroughly understands what is going on.

This is some tough love.. your DD can't throw six pitches. Most likely she throws 2 pitches. Whoever is telling you she throws six pitches is feeding you a line of __________.

Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson--considered one of the best ever--threw two pitches...fastball and slider. Hall of Famer, World Series MVP, 13 times all-star, Mariano Rivera (making 12 million a year when he retired) threw two (cutter and fastball). The best active pitcher in baseball and making 33 million a year Justin Verlander throws four.

28YOA Cat Osterman, the greatest movement pitcher in softball, throws 5--drop, rise, change, curve, fastball. My poor DD (all conference D1) threw 2.5 pitches (depends on whether you count a drop curve as different from a drop).

It is not realistic to believe your DD is throwing six pitchers. Trying to throw all of these different pitches might actually hinder her development as a pitcher.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My DD’s PC said in all his years playing the game he had 3 pitches. Drop Ball, CU, and a mediocre rise ball. Now you could say he had more by the way he placed them and how those were perceived. But he’ll always tell you he only had 3.

DD has 1.5 pitches. Drop Ball and CU. We introduced her to the CU last year but she didn’t like throwing it. This year it will be more of a focus and she’s much more interested on working on it so the CU becomes a more confident option.

We’ve begun working more heavily on pitch strategy as well. Knowing where she is in the game, inning, and the other teams lineup. And how to read a batter before she even walks into the batters box. Then being comfortable to read the batters tendencies and body language during the at bat. Ultimately, I’d like her to feel comfortable calling her own game. But, she will also start the year with her Jr High team where the coach will pitch call strategically. So she’ll get to experience both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
considering most pitching coaches say it takes at least 6+ months for any pitch to be game ready, having 5-6 pitches and locations down at age of 9 is quite an accomplishment.

Sep 19, 2018
Its a better idea to educate than let a person struggle for no good reason.
Just an opinion.
I agree with the statement. I think we all would. However, the response is that when you tell that child what to do, you are not educating them. They are just doing what they are told. They are not in the mindset of trying to understand what the pitch caller is thinking. They just do. "OK, tell me what do I do next?"

Having said that, my dd moved up to 12U this past fall. I was so happy to see that the coach was letting the pitch and catcher (also just moving up) call their own game. Unfortunately, it was not registering to either that my dd could not blow fastballs by everyone anymore. After a few games he started partially calling the game. I was thrilled. She definitely started seeing better results.

I hope that he continues to let them partially call the game. Hopefully she'll start to learn and he'll give her more leash.

If all she has is fast ball and change up then call what corner you want her to hit up/in , down/away. always challenge her to be specific within her capabilities and she will progress. Also start teaching her now to stay away from belt high pitches. Every thing needs to be top or bottom of strike zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi