Pitchers role in cutoffs considering USSSA rules for 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I was at a coaching clinic, at a college, team USA was there and it was run by a ex mens fastpitch player.
Pitcher was cut off for home.

at another clinic, first base was home cut off.

Last year I used Pitcher, she had outstanding defense with smart field sense.

Pitcher cut is not working this year, so I am going to have them start to back up and use my first base as cut.

So wether or not its used in your high school or wherever, it can be dynamic based on your players, especially for younger teams, and can be changed if need be when they get older or as needed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thanks for the responses. I was unaware that the LBR is part of all the different rule sets. It seems like most of you think I should play it like baseball with the cuts and have the pitchers back up 3B or Home respectively. That is actually easier for me since it is what I have been used to. The only worry I had was getting the ball back to the circle quickly and if the pitcher was backing up it would take longer to get it back to the circle. The pitcher has to be the one in the circle for the look back rule to be in effect correct? That is my understanding anyway. In 12U this year we have had a lot of shallow of balls where they can throw it to the pitcher quickly and I guess that is the other reason I have kept them there because a lot of times the pitcher hasn't had a ton of time to go back up with a hard hit ball to an outfield who isn't as deep as they would be as they get older. This game is so much shorter and quicker and it has had me racking my brain on a lot of things to see what I believe translates from baseball. I do agree with earlier posts to teach them the way they will do it in HS and not just think of trying to gain an advantage in 12U

Base runners are free to advance at their own risk until the pitcher has the ball in the circle. At that point base runners have to return to their base or advance.

Jan 24, 2011
Teach them to play the right way. Look at the teams in the WCWS. The pitchers are backing up the bases.

The right way according to who? For our team the best option is for the pitcher to be our cut. I have had other teams where it didn't work out. You cant just judge based on what the WCWS teams do. As a matter of fact , there was plenty on bad defense on display in the tournament. Also , due to the dimensions of a softball field , there is rarely a need for a cut to home anyway. The throw is typically going all the way to the plate anyway. If my pitcher is a good athlete and can throw , why not keep her in the middle to cut and throw to another base if needed?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2012
A, A
The right way according to who? For our team the best option is for the pitcher to be our cut. I have had other teams where it didn't work out. You cant just judge based on what the WCWS teams do. As a matter of fact , there was plenty on bad defense on display in the tournament. Also , due to the dimensions of a softball field , there is rarely a need for a cut to home anyway. The throw is typically going all the way to the plate anyway. If my pitcher is a good athlete and can throw , why not keep her in the middle to cut and throw to another base if needed?
Because as she progresses into higher levels of play, the pitcher is going to be used to back up 3rd or Home. So why not teach this at a younger age so that it is second nature as the pitcher gets older?

Dec 20, 2012
Other than pitching and fielding a ball up the middle the pitcher really should stay clear of the ball unless absolutely necessary. That is just what is seen at higher levels. What I say does not hold true for every pitcher so don't ridicule me. lol Like that's gonna stop y'all. At 12u or older rec leagues the pitcher will be one of the most athletic kids on the team. As they get older those athletic girls will play other positions and the pitchers will be the strong and sometimes bigger girls. Less mobile, not near as quick, etc.... Not only that if you put your P in the cut off there is more a chance for her to be in a defensive play. Rundowns, runners sliding into them, a hot throw from overzealous infielder, the scenarios are endless. Now you have put your P, the kid that touches the ball every single play, unnecessarily in harm's way and increased her potential for injury. If you would just get her out of the way and let her back up throws all that could be avoided. Heck most coaches do not want their pitchers fielding a fly ball in the circle. JMO

Jun 4, 2015
One of the big things I have struggled with is the fact that on the regular base hits with our outfielders charging and not being as deep to start as they would be in HS, it doesn't seem like my pitcher has enough time to get the proper depth to back up home so that is another thing that entered into my decision to keep her as the cutoff in the circle. The main thing for me is to get them ready for HS and beyond so if that is what they are teaching the older kids I will probably go to more that traditional baseball cutoff for home. Thanks for all the responses.

Dec 20, 2012
Well they will not go to back up 3rd or home on every hit. They way my kid learned, and coaches will differ a bit, is that her responsibility was to make move to third base line once a runner advances to second base. First will come to p circle more or less. Then depending on where the ball was hit, where runners are before the hit, what you anticipate the runner to do and all the other details will determine where the P will go from there.

Jan 12, 2012
A, A
Well they will not go to back up 3rd or home on every hit. They way my kid learned, and coaches will differ a bit, is that her responsibility was to make move to third base line once a runner advances to second base. First will come to p circle more or less. Then depending on where the ball was hit, where runners are before the hit, what you anticipate the runner to do and all the other details will determine where the P will go from there.

Exactly, I have mine go between 3rd and home and read the play. As they get more experienced they will know better which way to go in a given situation

Jan 12, 2012
A, A
Just for clarification,
There is not always a need for a relay person.
There should always be a player in the cut off position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug