Pitchers role in cutoffs considering USSSA rules for 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2012
New to the board and wanted to get peoples opinion on this. I am a long time HS baseball coach who has converted to softball and coaching my daughter. One thing I have struggled with is the pitchers role in cutoffs in 12U. In baseball I know a pitcher's responsibility is to back up the bases. In USSSA with the look back rule and the pitcher in the circle stopping runners from moving once they get the ball does it make more sense to have the pitcher stay near the circle to take the cuts to home and have the left fielder back up throws to 3rd and the 1B cut off throws home? Again if it wasn't for this USSSA look back rule I would go the normal route with either the 3rd or 1st basemen as the cut to home but it looks like the specify the pitcher must be the one in the circle for the look back rule to be in effect. This makes me think the pitcher is the better person to take the cuts to home so they can immediately get to the circle and stop the other runners.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this. We play mostly USSSA tournaments and I believe that look back rule is specific just to that set of rules.

Thanks

I have never been a baseball guy and I feel like that is advantage sometimes. I agree not a wrong or right but my opinion is Pitcher should stay and besometimes. At the Younger ages especially it is much less movement and easier. A shallow hit ball where OF fires home there is not time to get in a good backup spot and a deep hit ball will be rolling in and shouldn't get by a good catcher. We have gotten runners called out by quickly getting to Pitcher and her turn with ball in glove to look at a runner. Good stuff from everyone!

Feb 17, 2014
I think I understand why you think you want to do this, but like has already been said, it is unnecessary. Have your players back up bases like you do in baseball.

One thing to keep in mind that I don't think has been mentioned is that the base running games go away when you reach the older ages. Once these girls get stronger with stronger throws, base runners won't play games any more. They even stop rounding the bag so hard in certain situations because they know they'll get throw out. So, the need to have the pitcher in the circle to stop the play doesn't exist.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Pitchers back up home or 3B and if the 1B takes the cutoff, they can stand in the circle with the ball until the pitcher returns to the circle for a hand off. While anyone other than the pitcher (in the circle) has the ball, the players covering the bags need to be aware that the runners can take off so hold their bag, ready to accept a throw until the pitcher has the ball in the circle.