Pitch counts in softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just what is it the top performers you’re worried so much about are being constrained from? You and many others have an inordinate fear of what? Knowledge! How do you know that knowledge wouldn’t prove you right?

I suspect that at the root of this issue is an unwarranted fear of losing some kind of power and control.

Why should a kid who has the ability to safely throw beyond that of the rest of the herd lose pitching time in order to protect some kid who is not putting in the work? There is no reason to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator. I will look after my pitchers, you look after yours. If yours gets hurt it is on you, not me. This is the type of garbage often suggested by those with zero knowledge of the sport beyond what they have seen from the stands or read in a book.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So Dr. James Andrews has "zero knowledge" of the sport, right?

Cannot find where he has suggested a need for mandated pitch counts or something as absurd as a national registry. His comments seem to revolve around the myth that the windmill motion is without risk.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Well, let’s discuss your questions.

Why should a kid who has the ability to safely throw beyond that of the rest of the herd lose pitching time in order to protect some kid who is not putting in the work?

What exactly does a pitcher who CAN throw safely beyond some limit gain by doing that?

How do you make the leap that every player who isn’t as good as another isn’t putting in just as much work?

There is no reason to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator.

WTF are you talking about lowest common denominator? The only lowest common denominator is that there is a limit that people believe is enough.

I will look after my pitchers, you look after yours. If yours gets hurt it is on you, not me.

So if you’re a slug coach and ruins players, no one should be able to do anything to protect those players? IOW it’s a free for all with everyone having to look out for themselves.

No one is putting anything on anyone else, but how is it a burden on you that all players have some protection?

This is the type of garbage often suggested by those with zero knowledge of the sport beyond what they have seen from the stands or read in a book.

Why is it garbage to have concerns for others? How does that affect you, other than perhaps stopping one of your pitchers from going beyond some predetermined limit? Wait, I think I got it! You don’t have the capacity to develop or teach pitchers! You scrounge around trying to snatch up the best pitchers to take advantage of the work others have done, then ride them hard and put ‘em away wet, and to Hell with anyone else.

Why won’t you answer the one question that would shut me up if you answered it? What is so important about a pitcher everyone knows is good and is getting plenty of pitching time, getting even more pitching time? How much is enough? What share of the pie is plenty?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...Wait, I think I got it! You don’t have the capacity to develop or teach pitchers! You scrounge around trying to snatch up the best pitchers to take advantage of the work others have done, then ride them hard and put ‘em away wet, and to Hell with anyone else.

Now that is funny!

...Why won’t you answer the one question that would shut me up if you answered it? What is so important about a pitcher everyone knows is good and is getting plenty of pitching time, getting even more pitching time? How much is enough? What share of the pie is plenty?

Who are you or anyone else to determine what is enough or what a pitcher needs to develop? Understand, that unless you are the coach or the parent of the pitcher what share of the pie is plenty is none of your business.

Scorekeeper said:
I am not a SB guy....I admit I don’t know anything about SB...

No argument here.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Now that is funny!

Nothing funnier than the truth, is there?

Who are you or anyone else to determine what is enough or what a pitcher needs to develop? Understand, that unless you are the coach or the parent of the pitcher what share of the pie is plenty is none of your business.

That’s precisely the kind of answer I’d expect when the question I asked can’t be answered.

No argument here.

Since the whole thread isn’t at all about whether someone knows anything at all about softball, it isn’t relevant how much I know about it.

Sep 18, 2011

This article made a bit of a splash locally. It was picked up by the regional fastpitch discussion website. Also on facebook I noticed that several people posted it on various club team pages. LOTS of concern here regarding overuse injuries. The local pitching scene sometimes resembles a M.A.S.H. unit. My guess is that as more and more doctors, trainers, and medical experts begin raising concerns about overuse injuries in young female athletes, particularly among softball pitchers, that this will eventually gain quite a bit of traction. And I have no doubt that in the relatively near future, pitch counts (or innings limits) will become part of the game. Particularly for the younger ages.

I could be wrong.

Sep 30, 2013
29dad,

In the discussion you saw, were there many people like here who while acknowledging the benefits, fight against them because they aren’t perfect and don’t stop all injuries?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi