Pickup player rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
My daughter plays Nafa and ASA softball for 12u but is only 10. The team she is registered on is a B team.

Her old team has signed up to play the C level state championship game and would like her to join them if possible, but they are a 10u team. Can she play down since she is not out of the age bracket and can a pickup player be a catcher?

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
One roster per player, position doesn't matter. Level and age bracket also do not matter.

We had this same situation come up. DD plays on a club team, but also on her town's travel team. She could only play league games, and could not be rostered for any of the town travel tournaments without being dropped from her other roster first. Since club was going to Nationals, we didn't take the chance of DD being double rostered.

Likely for a local or state tourney, you wouldn't get caught not doing a Drop & Add and just adding her to the tourney roster. However, all you need is one coach or parent from another team to recognize her and complain to the tourney director and the team would get disqualified from any wins.

This is my experience in New England talking directly with the ASA director. Policy may vary in other states/regions.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My daughter plays Nafa and ASA softball for 12u but is only 10. The team she is registered on is a B team.

Her old team has signed up to play the C level state championship game and would like her to join them if possible, but they are a 10u team. Can she play down since she is not out of the age bracket and can a pickup player be a catcher?

Depends. Your coaches should check with the appropriate State Director if there is any uncertainty. Every little fiefdom appears to be different from what I have seen.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In our neck of the woods the only tournaments where pickup players are an issue are ASA and PGF qualifiers. Everything else is pretty much a free-for-all if the player is age eligible. There are a couple of tournament directors of lower level tournaments who will 'redline' a pitcher if they think a team is sandbagging.

Nov 18, 2013
Agree with others that it varies by area or sanctioning body. Try to get an answer in writing. Here in Minnesota NAFA and ASA are one and they like to make up the rules as they go.

Sep 29, 2014
The answer is always get a written response from the state director of the organization. Never just take a TD's word who says don't worry no big deal...it's never a big deal until it IS.

Most areas I have been in if it is not a qualifier it does not matter since you are not really doing anything but playing in that tournament but if you are concerned at all get a written answer well beforehand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp