Perfect Back Arm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Could it be a combination of these factors:

1) The strength of the male upper body and especially the forearms, wrists and hands

2) The path of a baseball pitch starting somewhere between 6'-6" and 5" off the ground and has a minimum 1'-6"decline all the way to a 4' decline vs. a softball pitch that starts consistently at about 30" and varies from a 1'-6" incline to a 1'-6" decline.

This may explain why the major leaguers look silly batting against the fastpitch riseball pitchers. It's movement that you cannot duplicate with a baseball pitch. It may mean the softball player could have an advantage with a more horizontal approach to the bat angle preparation and rear arm movement.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I see that most of the MLB players have a similar back arm load, as Dr. Yeager is teaching in this clip.

Perfect Back-Arm---Phase1-LOAD - YouTube

I reviewed all of the model swings of the NCAA players and only found a few that used a similar back arm load.

Why?

MLB players can lift it like that and stay connected. Elbows working together on rotation
MLB players have learned to turn better than 95% of the rest of the world.

Most girls when they go that high fire the rear arm first, and it slots 3,4,5 inches before the front arm connects if it does at all.
I start the back elbow not down or up. Half way between the two. Girls I have worked with seem to stay connected better with that set up

Straightleg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2011
It seems and feels like a correct position for throwing, and in simple terms I would agree we are throwing the bat in the swing (through linear and rotational movements).

Ihouser and straitleg bring up good points. Is this elbow position not for the fastpitch swing?

I still dont see why we cannot stay connected from this position, nor get on plane with the fastpitch height pitch?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
The position of the back elbow in the stance is a complete style choice. The absolute is how the upper arm loads and unloads. I personally don't like the style of starting with a high elbow because when you load, the elbow goes even higher. The further away from the body the elbow is during the load phase, the further it has to go to slot.

Ted kept his elbow close to his body. He felt it gave him a little bit of extra umph, similar to how a boxer sets up a punch. My daughter has used this position in the past and it is my favorite style. You can also use this style with a flatter barrel. Ted said he used to flatten out some when he felt like he needed to be a little quicker against certain pitchers.

ted williams stance.jpg

IMO the under-the-hood action is the same for baseball and softball and should be taught as an absolute. The other absolute is that the hands should not get outside the elbow during the load. If they do there is a greater chance of bag drag.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
The position of the back elbow in the stance is a complete style choice. The absolute is how the upper arm loads and unloads. I personally don't like the style of starting with a high elbow because when you load, the elbow goes even higher. The further away from the body the elbow is during the load phase, the further it has to go to slot.

Players with high setup in stance like Giambi do not raise it even higher IIRC... don't think you would want to do that

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio

Ted kept his elbow close to his body. He felt it gave him a little bit of extra umph, similar to how a boxer sets up a punch. My daughter has used this position in the past and it is my favorite style. You can also use this style with a flatter barrel. Ted said he used to flatten out some when he felt like he needed to be a little quicker against certain pitchers.

View attachment 1644

IMO the under-the-hood action is the same for baseball and softball and should be taught as an absolute. The other absolute is that the hands should not get outside the elbow during the load. If they do there is a greater chance of bag drag.

Slotting the elbow too soon during the sequence causes what I call the "amateur" hand and bat path... Long and slow. Loading the rear arm and raising the back elbow (when done properly) allows the slotting of the elbow to happen at the right time in relation to hand position during the swing. Keeping the rear elbow low during the load will increase the odds of slotting too soon as well as straightening the front arm too much (arm bar).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1