Peel drop problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2013
--- Part II ---

The next thing I'd work with her on is her 'open' style mechanics. After all, they can lead to blindness... ;) Seriously, though... it is VERY evident that she is taking to this new instruction and FORCING her hips to stay open. It's not a good blend to have a forward lean AND a disconnected torso... it's sort of setting her up for a possible injury. People like RLG go WAY overboard with this methodology, IMO. It shouldn't be a focus at all. The stride foot sets the angle of the hips, and that should be all. BUT... because this is a focus, your DD's hips and shoulders are TOTALLY disconnected. She's gonna have a bunch of issues arise from this... including a more difficult time with her control. I know you are digging these new PC's - but this stay open with the hips thing is not helping. For an example of this "disconnection", reference the hip and shoulder lines in this next vid:

1564vnb.gif

Aside from the obvious posture fix and stride foot angle, one fix for 'reconnecting' the hips and shoulders would be to focus on the drive foot during the last quarter of the circle. Your DD plants at 90-degrees - and as a result - her whole side of the drive foot drags on the ground. You mentioned a knee-to-knee closing - and that's cool... but the knee-to-knee closing should also involve the INTERNAL ROTATION of the drive foot. This is marked by the shoelaces facing third at 9 o'clock and IMMEDIATELY rotating towards home by 8 (often referred to as from side of big toe, to the top of big toe). This is often a torque mechanism - and it will reconnect her hips to align to her shoulders... meaning she will close a little more (with her hips). The drive foot knee does and should come forward - but it does NOT move much, if at all, until after release (when done correctly)... so you don't have to worry about "slamming the door".

This fix, coupled with the posture fix above, would really help your DD achieve that brush interference Rick and Doug are talking about.

Again, I used Cat - cause it sounds like her mechanics are in line with your PC's style... Here's a comparison of your DD to Cat... pay close attention to Cat's I/R of the foot (really evident in her quad orientation). Then watch your daughter. This should be an obvious spot for you when comparing the two - and also a comfort for you to see a high-level pitcher doing it without "slamming the door". Here's that comparison:

13yjc7s.gif

Lastly, I mentioned your DD might have a heel that kicks backward. This is usually the case with most younger pitchers... but it looks like your DD is really pinching the knees. Really makes me thing that your PC shares some similarities with Rita Lynn (RLG), too. This squeeze, pinch, or 'clap' of the knees is one of her trademarks. If her heel did kick towards first, it would create excessive spacing between her thigh and throwing hand, eliminating some of the brush interference. This does happen a little, but I'm confident if you taught her to I/R her foot, this heel drift would never be an issue. Here's that one...

1zeecep.gif

Lastly, she has a bunch of rotation of the ball during her wind-up. I'm not a fan of that personally, but it does appear she repositions her hand properly as she heads towards the top of the circle. I'd be really curious to see what the top of your DD's circle looks like... but that's another day....

Hope you can find some good in this post. Your DD is obviously talented.

Cheers,
~JS

All I can say is wow! Thanks.

We knew the leg drive is an issue, and the plant foot should be at 45 degrees. But wow on the analysis....fantastic.

First let me say JS has just put up the ultimate response....if you were going to pay for a pitching analysis like this it would cost a lot.

Going to use a little different terminology that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread...this will be very similar to the disconnection of upper and lower torso mentioned by JS and others....it is relative to the "Four Points of Resistance" and in your daughters case it is the upper torso that is not providing resistance. This is the primary culprit. As you can note, her upper torso is moving forward while she is attempting to release the ball.....this will negatively affect speed, spin, and location. In contrast you can see how Cat has firmed up her upper torso prior to release.....she has a nice solid foundation to build from.
Maybe a cue phrase using "resistance" will click for your DD.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No offense, but if you have to pay for this analysis, I am not paying for the extra time it takes you to say she's leaning forward, her hand is off in the circle, and her stride foot is off angle with that many words, in my kid's 1/2 hour lesson (hard to get longer or afford it). Just saying that I pay for doing, not talking, so I hope you can spit all that out in a faster form during lessons. Or demonstrate it, because I also don't pay for videos that are not loading fast enough on the wifi.

Sorry, but the love fest is getting sickly sweet.

I am now convinced that your whole online persona is a weird piece of performance art in the lines of Andy Kaufman. It is too unreal to actually believe.

Jun 18, 2010
No offense, but if you have to pay for this analysis, I am not paying for the extra time it takes you to say she's leaning forward, her hand is off in the circle, and her stride foot is off angle with that many words, in my kid's 1/2 hour lesson (hard to get longer or afford it). Just saying that I pay for doing, not talking, so I hope you can spit all that out in a faster form during lessons. Or demonstrate it, because I also don't pay for videos that are not loading fast enough on the wifi.

Sorry, but the love fest is getting sickly sweet.

I am getting tired of all this anti-dogma dogma.

Ostrich-Head-in-Sand-1.jpg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
OILF,
Your negativity is really negative. I like some of what you have to say, but I must say I don't look for it as much as I used to. Are you as critical around kids as you are the adults in this forum?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez