Palm up Palm Down Through Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
All hitting "experts" I would love you opinion on the cue heel, hips, hands, something I've heard time and again, mainly agreeing with starting with the bottom up. Sorry saw the lurking only post this morning, trying to be more interactive, and maybe learn someting

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
296gn76.gif

Sep 17, 2009
FFS, would it be possible to get a copy of the gif without the pause and the "friggin" quote--I don't know how to pull out frames. I'd like to share the hand pivot and bat path with some younger girls, this is nice example, but don't want to share the naughty word : )

TKS in advance if that's something you can do.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, would it be possible to get a copy of the gif without the pause and the "friggin" quote--I don't know how to pull out frames. I'd like to share the hand pivot and bat path with some younger girls, this is nice example, but don't want to share the naughty word : )

TKS in advance if that's something you can do.

Here you go RichK. The markers are for the top-hand path, bottom-hand path, and barrel-path.

mt8mdj.gif

Sep 17, 2009
Here you go RichK. The markers are for the top-hand path, bottom-hand path, and barrel-path.

mt8mdj.gif

One further thought: why not continue the top hand and bottom hand dots a bit to show how the top hand gets thrown past (on top of) the bottom hand past contact....what you'd end up with is green over blue, then under blue, then over blue again....seems pertinent to the thread topic here...

Anyway, thanks again.

Aug 5, 2012
Ok, thanks for all the responses. Here are my questions. We often hear that by rolling the barrel too early, it often results in ground balls. Yeager teaches that at contact you will have a mostly PUPD position and then roll the top hand. I have seen girls do better by keeping PUPD through extension because they're not rolling too early. So is it true that the roll can be too early and cause ground balls?

Second, I was reviewing a lot of the model swings in that thread and you see both, PUPD through extension and you also see turning the hand over at or immediately after contact. I got into this discussion with Jeff Frazier last week (and I'm going to show him the gif above tonight), and he insists that the hitting coaches he worked with taught PUPD through extension and that's what he and his brothers teach (Todd included). Is it possible that both ways are correct, with maybe one more preferable than the other?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80