Overhand Throw Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2013
I'm having trouble with teaching my 13 DD how to improve her overhand throw. She plays middle school and low level travel ball as a pitcher/2B/OF. She's pretty athletic but thin. Her overhand throw has recently gotten much stronger but she has a couple mechanical issues that I'm having trouble communicating with her how to fix. The mechanical issues lead to some inaccurate throws normally to the left of the receiver. She kinda short arms her throws with the elbow well below her shoulder and at release her her thumb rotates up and puts quite a bit of side spin on the ball. I'm trying to get her to raise her elbow and giving cues like keeping the ball further away from her head has shown some progress. The release is a different story. She really has trouble keeping her hand behind the ball and putting true backspin on it.

It's funny as she doesn't usually have these issues when making adjustments to her I/R pitching motion.

Any good ideas on how to accurately communicate what she needs to be doing in her overhand throw (elbow higher and proper release) or the best drills to break down these motions and get them corrected?

Thanks

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The Wasserman stuff is really good for this particular issue, that water bottle drill will do wonders for the low elbow issue. That water ball drill gets the arm in good shape but my advice is to pay attention to their weight shift as well. I found that both my daughters started their motion with their arms and not with a push off the rear foot after doing a lot of water bottle drills. Not hard to correct but if I could go back, I would have them focus on the feel of the push off the rear foot and the stretch across the throwing shoulder/pec as the trigger to begin the arm motion. Like everything else, that separation and feeling of weight back while going forward will greatly improve velocity. A drill I invented was to have them put their weight on the rear foot with the ball on a tee behind them at about waist high. Once they let their weight go forward they try to keep the ball on the tee until they feel the stretch in the throwing shoulder. Then they throw the arm in one fluid motion. This is to correct a premature elbow bend prior to the shoulder/pec stretch. From that point forward, the water bottle sequence is great.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Wasserman!!! There isn't any better info on the magical intarwebz for high-level throwing mechanics. If your throwing training/practice includes "L" drills/positions or wrist flicks, you're doing it wrong.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Another vote for Wasserman. And for JJ above. Stride is critical. Suggestion: turn shoulders/hips in line with target first, then drive front foot directly to target, staying well into the legs. Starting with shoulders this way should put body in prime, position for good throw. I agree that the water bottle drill, as well as some band drills of Wasserman, will be big helps.

Oct 9, 2013
I agree about Wasserman. Very good stuff. DD is working through the same exact issue. She is also a pitcher and has no problem with the hands staying behind the ball underhanded. She went to a college camp this summer and one of the girls asked her why she was twisting her hand on her overhand release. I guess it was her light bulb moment and had to hear it from a college player. She is more conscious of it now and tries to keep everything in line. We work on it during every workout. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez