out of batters box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2014
This weekend we played a 14U rec tournament. The opposing team batters had their front foot planted on the front chalk line of the box. When they took their stride their front foot would land about 6 to 8 inches outside the front of the batter's box. The umpire ruled that the batter would only be out when striking the ball with a foot out of the box. When the batter hit the ball or fouled it off the umpire "didn't see it".

What is the best way to approach something like this that the umpire doesn't appear to care calling? I don't want to hurt my team or get ejected but want to make sure I explore all avenues. Second umpire seemed inexperienced and not paying attention unless their was a play at a bag.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There should be an umpire-in-chief, you can bring it to their attention during or after the game. It does not sound like you were going to get anywhere with your umpires so you were probably right in not arguing too much about it. You also might not get too far with the umpire-in-chief, our rec rules can be “flexible”.

Nov 29, 2009
That is the PU call. If he didn't "see it" then there's not too much you can do about it. Kinda falls into the area of both feet being off of the ground during a pitchers leap.

May 10, 2014
There should be an umpire-in-chief, you can bring it to their attention during or after the game. It does not sound like you were going to get anywhere with your umpires so you were probably right in not arguing too much about it. You also might not get too far with the umpire-in-chief, our rec rules can be “flexible”.

quincy, thanks for the response. I'm not sure who the UIC was or if one was even present. They were short umpires and borrowed two from 10U. The tourney was an interlock between 3 cities and none of the league or interlock officials even bothered to show up. It was disappointing but as a coach I want to set a good example to our girls and arguing and unwinnable point with an umpire may not be helpful. If nothing else, I know moving forward when the tourney is set up to ask who will be on-site and be prepared ahead of time.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It's hard for an ump to see. I wouldn't worry about it. Imo not a big deal. If it's bothering you a lot play a little chin music...well some hard inside pitches anyway.

Mar 2, 2013
You need contact on the ground and out of the box at the time of contact with the ball. This all assuming that the lines are drawn correctly and what the coach sees, as opposed to what the umpire sees, is correct.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
As a rabid parent I have to admit this is a real tough one for the umps to see. Unless the batter steps in front of the plate or onto the plate I don't see how an ump who is watching the ball approach the plate can see where the feet are.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Call the game according to the rules. It's your friggin job to "see it." I'd take a rake out between innings and rake directly in front of the batter's box, just to make a point. Tell Blue you're worried about bad hops.

All weekend long watching WCWS games: leaps & replants - not called; runners leaving so early that my 12yo DS noticed it - not called. Hell, it was so bad during the UL-Laf/BU game that the announcers got tongue tied trying to talk around the runners leaving early. They were afraid to report what they saw. What are we teaching the girls?

Don't know that there was any stepping out of the box, but it wouldn't surprise me.

May 6, 2012
Texas
This is a tough one when it comes to blues usually when I have problems like this I go to the blue in between innings and just calming talk to the blue and say things like "I know you have a lot to watch but....." and then go into the rule that they are missing. From there that is where I draw the line and just deal with it.

Jan 20, 2009
This is the most difficult call in SB. As stated, the batter is out if at least one foot is completely outside the chalk of the batter's box at the time the ball was struck. Yes, it is the one of plate umpire's primary responsibilities, but there is the question of priorities. The #1 priority is to track the pitch until it passes through the strike zone or misses it, or until the ball is struck by the batter.

Coach, leave your rake in the truck because simply pointing to a footprint on the ground does not prove anything, because there is no time-stamp on it.. If it is "plink-step" it is nothing; if it is "step-plink" it is an out. It is virtually impossible to see if the foot was in contact with the ground outside the box AND simultaneously be tracking the pitch all the way in. UNLESS, a slapper was seriously fooled by a nasty change-up, or the easier one to see is if they stepped in front of home plate on a bunt attempt. But in front of the batter's box, all bets are off.

Umpires are not to guess outs. If you don't see it, you can't call it; even though it may have happened.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad