New Softball Umpire Looking For Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
^^ I'll add to these two other points when I do my plate meetings.

* Reminder of any run-ahead rules in place, depending on the league/section/ruleset.
* Ask if the two coaches are their team's head coaches, and remind them, "We only speak to head coaches about rule questions. Let the play end, call time and approach the official that made the call, and we will go from there." Just to prevent random players, parents, or ACs/other dugout adults trying to insert themselves into the games. I've done it for 6 years now and never had an issue with it.

By rule, if they are at the plate meeting, they are the head coach in NFHS. I don't care what the paycheck says.

I used to say too much at my pregame conference. Now it is short and simple:

For NFHS:
Introduce myself and my partner.
Check the line up cards (looking for DP/Flex, duplicate uniform numbers, duplicate positions).
"Coach, any changes to your lineup?"
Verify presence (or not) of athletic trainer and concussion protocol. (IHSA requirement)
Verify location of AED. (IHSA requirement)
Verify location of facility management/administrator (or if head coach is handling)
"Coach, take us around the field for any ground rules." (NOTE: This is the head coach's duty, not yours. Doesn't matter how many times you have been there, it is their field.)
"Coach, is your team legal and legally equipped?" (Verbal YES required)
Optional: verify if we have a second game or JV innings afterwards
"Any questions for us? Hustle them in, hustle them out. Good luck."

That doesn't seem short, but it is.

May 27, 2022
New softball umpire fresh out of cadet class. My first game was JV scrimmage. I was the only umpire. First situation: both pitchers would get signal from coach, step on rubber, and immediately put their hands together and start their pitching motion. Because it was a scrimmage I informed both coaches and pitchers of the rule that they must at least simulate taking the signal with hands apart, etc. without calling illegal pitches.They adjusted somewhat although the hands were apart very briefly. Also, my game ended early so I watched the varsity game from behind the plate and those pitchers were doing the same thing. My first real game is tomorrow and I plan to address this with the coaches before the game. What would you do? Second situation: Batter who stood way up in the front of the box rubbed out the front line of the box. I said to her that she should not do that in the future But said nothing to the coaches, etc. I noticed at the varsity game (with two slappers in the line up) that the front of that batters box was completely gone. But I did not arrive at that game until inning 4 so who knows what happened. Is there a call or a warning to be made in this instance?

Be aware that not all umpires are brave enough to make all the calls to the letter of the law. I've mentioned it before:
1. Batter 'smooths' out the batter box and the chalk is covered up (1st inning). The next batter plants her toes 2" off of home plate. The umpire acknowledged it to our catcher, but wouldn't do anything about it.
2. After I complained about varsity pitchers not simulating a signal, the umpire told me 'Who Cares'.
3. Illegal pitches

In a sense, balls, strikes, and outs are easy to call because you have to. Many other calls take a certain level of confidence and/or bravery to call. As I've gotten game experience and watched other umpires, I've started to envision how I would handle those situations to prepare for it/when it happens.

Some of the calls that I've witnessed umpires NOT calling:
- Pitchers feet out of the lane
- Illegal pitches
- Batters' feet not entirely in the Batters Box before the pitch
- Pitchers wrist outside the elbow on release
- Not simulating a signal
- Quick pitching

Dec 6, 2019
My advice (really a request) as a parent who has to leave work early to get to 5pm games. Please don't start games before the stated starting times unless there is a serious threat of impending weather. A 6pm basketball game never starts early, but a 5pm softball game regularly starts between 4:45pm and 4:50pm.

Also, I have never said to myself "This umpire is following the rules too closely." Don't ever become one who says "I'm not going to call [x rule violation] because I don't think the violation resulted in a player obtaining an advantage." If "obtaining an advantage" is not part of the text of the rule, then don't add that on yourself.

You can tell I've been damaged! Seriously though, good for you for getting out there and thank you for doing it!

Jul 19, 2021
the rule that they must at least simulate taking the signal with hands apart, etc.
I have rarely seen this called and one reason is because it is so subjective. What exactly constitutes simulating taking the signal? How long of a glance is required to satisfy the requirement? Heck a signal can be taken during a windup. It doesn't take that long to look at a catchers hand. IMO unless the pitcher is intentionally trying to quick pitch, which is what this rule is intended to prevent, I wouldn't call it because no advantage is being gained.

May 27, 2022
I have rarely seen this called and one reason is because it is so subjective. What exactly constitutes simulating taking the signal? How long of a glance is required to satisfy the requirement? Heck a signal can be taken during a windup. It doesn't take that long to look at a catchers hand. IMO unless the pitcher is intentionally trying to quick pitch, which is what this rule is intended to prevent, I wouldn't call it because no advantage is being gained.

1 full second or more of staring at the catcher with little to no other motions. If you take the signal off the rubber and then step and throw, it can be a lot like a quick pitch.

Not that hard to see, judge, and call. Provides the hitter a little better queue to prepare.

May 29, 2015
How long did your pitcher spend staring at her wristband? That's how long it takes. How much time did the catcher stand out there doing the "first and third dance?" That's how long it takes to give a signal.
(No, that's not how I call it. That's how I would like to call it. "Coach, it took you 15 seconds to get the call in, so she needs to stand there motionless for another 15 seconds. Coach, I saw your catcher in action giving signals, your pitcher needs to stand there for 35 seconds.")

No, the rulebook does not say 1 second. What is simulating a signal? Look at the catcher for a moment, give a head nod, then start your windup. That is simulating a signal.

Essentially, yes, the purpose is to avoid the quick pitch and walk-throughs. The purpose is player safety and to ensure the batter is alert. The batter cannot be considered alert (although she may be) if the pitcher is not in position. The pitcher is not in position if she is not looking at the batter. Pausing when you step on is NOT asking too much.

TMIB Thinks Outside the Box, Episode 1: I honestly think part of the problem is pitching lessons. Pitchers are not facing hitters and are trying to get as many pitches into their 30-minute lesson as possible ... they are not being taught proper approach.

My suggestion: Go back to requiring the signal on the pitcher's plate.

May 29, 2015
Be aware that not all umpires are brave enough to make all the calls to the letter of the law. I've mentioned it before:
1. Batter 'smooths' out the batter box and the chalk is covered up (1st inning). The next batter plants her toes 2" off of home plate. The umpire acknowledged it to our catcher, but wouldn't do anything about it.
2. After I complained about varsity pitchers not simulating a signal, the umpire told me 'Who Cares'.
3. Illegal pitches

In a sense, balls, strikes, and outs are easy to call because you have to. Many other calls take a certain level of confidence and/or bravery to call. As I've gotten game experience and watched other umpires, I've started to envision how I would handle those situations to prepare for it/when it happens.

Some of the calls that I've witnessed umpires NOT calling:
- Pitchers feet out of the lane
- Illegal pitches
- Batters' feet not entirely in the Batters Box before the pitch
- Pitchers wrist outside the elbow on release
- Not simulating a signal
- Quick pitching

Random thoughts:

It isn't illegal for the batter to plant her toes 2" off of home plate. Only NCAA requires the batter to be completely inside the lines to be legal. All other codes require them to completely outside to be considered illegal.

What do (almost) all of those things have in common? They are very difficult to see, especially in a 2-umpire system. The only way to catch them 100% of the time is to a parent of the opposing team.

After you complained ... I am sorry, the customer isn't always right. You have the right to express your dissatisfaction, that doesn't mean you get anything (or that you are right). I shouldn't be judgmental about that though, I should ask, "In what capacity were you complaining?"

Note: I have had that same conversation with a few of our "perennially state-bound" umpires with the same result. Some guys just don't care. I hate to say that, but it is true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad