out of batters box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This weekend we played a 14U rec tournament. The opposing team batters had their front foot planted on the front chalk line of the box. When they took their stride their front foot would land about 6 to 8 inches outside the front of the batter's box. The umpire ruled that the batter would only be out when striking the ball with a foot out of the box. When the batter hit the ball or fouled it off the umpire "didn't see it".

What is the best way to approach something like this that the umpire doesn't appear to care calling? I don't want to hurt my team or get ejected but want to make sure I explore all avenues. Second umpire seemed inexperienced and not paying attention unless their was a play at a bag.

Thanks in advance.

Well, the umpire was right. As the UIC, I would have thanked you for complementing the umpire's rule knowledge.

Then I would tell you the same thing others have stated, this a very difficult violation to see. It must be so obvious that it draws the umpire's attention away from the pitch. Which would you prefer the umpire watch, the pitch or the batter? I have seen umpires who get harassed by coaches ignorant of the situation emphasize the difficulty by letting a pitch pass without a call. "When the coach questions the location of the pitch, the umpire clearly and quietly states, "not a clue, coach. But I can tell you that I watched her feet and she never left the box." Absolutely unprofessional, but sometimes it takes something as absurd as this to get a point across and move on with the game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse