Other team's loudmouth coach advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
Here is a situation I am sure most of you experienced softball parents have dealt with. DD is pitching in a friendly 11-13 rec league with four teams. All the parents and coaches are nice easygoing folk...except for coach of one team that screams and yells the entire game. I suppose he thinks he is being enthusiastic and helpful but all the opposing girls and parents think he is an rear and his own girls look like they are cringing in embarrassment. Not to mention he doesn't know much about softball, psychology or life. I wouldn't much care but he also has shouted some comments to my DD while she is on the mound - perhaps to rattle her? Anyway my question is....next game should I (a) tell DD to try to ignore him or (b) politely ask him to shut the hell up or (c) pepper-spray him?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is unacceptable for the other Team to address your players except in a positive way. This includes all Players, Manager, coaches, parents, etc.

Say something to your Manager and have them address it with the umpire.

I made the mistake of letting this happen with my DD last year, it will not happen again. If the adults in charge will not control the game, my DD and I are leaving.

Jul 26, 2010
Do the rec ball thing and have the girls cheer about it.

Hey (insert other team name), we think you're great
But your coach is a silly ape
You girls are cool
your coach is a fool
You should cover his mouth with duct tape

It's the only middle america jerry springer thing to do.

-W

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yeah, not very cool to speak to any player like this. Once at a town game when my kid was 12, the father of the pitcher who my kid just had a nice hit off of started saying some not so nice things. Me being the calm one said nothing, but i had to drag my wife away before she inflicted harm to this loud mouth. I though it was over, but the man approached us in the parking lot near my truck. It didn't work out so well for him. Then he was banned for life from the LL facility in our town. His poor kids!

If this coach has that reputation then xhame on the Park Dist for allowing him to continue to coach. If its at that point where its disturbing (almost comical) get a Park Dist rep involved. As 'fun' it would be to do as Starsnuffer suggested :) ....do the right thing. Sounds like this guy disreguarded the coaches conduct and code of ethics sheet he signed. Don't you disreguard the parent code of ethics sheet you signed.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
At the 11-13 age, pithcers generally have learned to tune out anything other than their coach. DD told me she makes believe the cheering and screaming for the other team are cheers for her......works pretty well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Agree with 3'sDad on this...tell your DD to tune him out.

Sure, you can make a big deal out of it, but don't expect anything to change. The guy most likely *wants* to be confronted.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In boys LL, I had a coach that was doing that to my pitcher. My pitcher and his dad were nationally ranked jujitsu competitors. They noticed the harassment, but let it go.

I knew the other coach from church, he had always seemed like a nice guy. I don't know what comes over people. I think that posting some of the antics on Youtube, would be good.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Unfortunately, some coaches forget that the game is for and about the players.
A coach who steals the spotlight and makes a spectacle of himself is asking for
a team and parent intervention as he may not realize it. Who picks the coaches in your org?

Mar 13, 2010
Hey (insert other team name), we think you're great
But your coach is a silly ape
You girls are cool
your coach is a fool
You should cover his mouth with duct tape

I don't get upset about most things, but my child would be out of your team for that. And I'd be kicking up the biggest fuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd