Rated the best coach in TB? Why? It's a Crying Shame.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
And this speaks right back to the OPs question. The parents are writing checks, is it safe to assume they approve of the methods the HCs are using?

Pretty much. Personally, I wouldn't allow my DD to join a team with that kind of coach. Demanding is fine. Demeaning is not. I have friends whose DDs play directly for that particular coach, and they somehow justify that it's acceptable.

Mar 6, 2016
Isn't that cat Sievers the coach from the infamous hitting the umpire call from back in the day?.....Shame he's still in the business, worse than any yelling coach I say......

MG vs. Cruisers - Umpire Incident 10-5-13 - YouTube

Mel Sievers is the guy...yes...same coach. I didn't know about the umpire thing until after my daughter had joined the Cruisers and had the one bad first experience with him visiting our new 10u group and scared the crap out of em all and blew out 2-3 elbows that day.

I've coached various sports since the early 90's (HS bball, football, baseball and now youth softball for the past 10 yrs) and your coaching "style" and delivery and the drills you run and the concepts you cover vary and change based on your age group you are coaching/teaching. This guy had no clue how to coach young 9-10 yr old players....in my opinion. Just rubbed me and a few other parents the wrong way REAL fast.

Then I saw the video and supposedly what happened. I wasn't surprised. I don't know the guy personally, never spoke to him at length one on one, but sometimes a BAD first impression is a true one and is what is remembered. I actually even had a talk with my oldest daughter who is a catcher while she was still in that org about what she would do if her coach told her to do that. I can't imagine the pressure the catcher and pitcher were under to "follow the leader" at the level.

Mar 6, 2016
Someone is signing the pay checks...

From what I've been told by some travel coaches in the younger groups, is that each lower level team under the umbrella of the org, "pays up" $$$ to the HEAD HONCHO/Org money each month/year. One coach who is 12u says he pays the org $1500 to be able to have a team with the org brand.

Aug 25, 2019
Mel Sievers is the guy...yes...same coach. I didn't know about the umpire thing until after my daughter had joined the Cruisers and had the one bad first experience with him visiting our new 10u group and scared the crap out of em all and blew out 2-3 elbows that day.

I've coached various sports since the early 90's (HS bball, football, baseball and now youth softball for the past 10 yrs) and your coaching "style" and delivery and the drills you run and the concepts you cover vary and change based on your age group you are coaching/teaching. This guy had no clue how to coach young 9-10 yr old players....in my opinion. Just rubbed me and a few other parents the wrong way REAL fast.

Then I saw the video and supposedly what happened. I wasn't surprised. I don't know the guy personally, never spoke to him at length one on one, but sometimes a BAD first impression is a true one and is what is remembered. I actually even had a talk with my oldest daughter who is a catcher while she was still in that org about what she would do if her coach told her to do that. I can't imagine the pressure the catcher and pitcher were under to "follow the leader" at the level.
Whatever happened to Sievers after this incident? .....What about the catcher?......I know the pitcher went on to pitch at Utah.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
From what I've been told by some travel coaches in the younger groups, is that each lower level team under the umbrella of the org, "pays up" $$$ to the HEAD HONCHO/Org money each month/year. One coach who is 12u says he pays the org $1500 to be able to have a team with the org brand.

Correct. Some are a yearly flat rate. Some are a per player/per month rate. A couple of years ago, an estimate of one of the largest orgs was about $1M in "org fees" being paid per year. It's probably more than that now.

One of the mid-size orgs in So Cal a coach who had created their own sub-umbrella within the org, and had a good number of teams connected, recently left to create their own org. The previous org is just lost $50k+ in "org fee" revenue.

Aug 23, 2016
One of the mid-size orgs in So Cal a coach who had created their own sub-umbrella within the org, and had a good number of teams connected, recently left to create their own org. The previous org is just lost $50k+ in "org fee" revenue.

Do the sub-umbrellas get a cut of org fees as well? I've been wondering how that works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad