OT - World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Last comment from me - this series was great. Both teams played with heart and SO MUCH CLASS. Very enjoyable.

Jan 23, 2014
I wish they had sent Gordon. I would think the chance of him being safe at home were about as good as him making it home with 2 out against Bumgarner. How epic would it have been to tie the 7th game of the WS on what should have been a double? And ending it on the play at the plate would have been a hell of a lot more exciting than the boring foul pop up. Think of the fans! Give us some drama!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I wish they had sent Gordon. I would think the chance of him being safe at home were about as good as him making it home with 2 out against Bumgarner. How epic would it have been to tie the 7th game of the WS on what should have been a double? And ending it on the play at the plate would have been a hell of a lot more exciting than the boring foul pop up. Think of the fans! Give us some drama!
In hind sight we said the same thing. Also it didn't looked like he was running top speed. In reality, it looked like Blanco was going to make the catch. It looked like Perez would have made a clean grab. Probably the right decision. I know everyone would be flippin' if he went and was thrown out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As a Dodgers fan, I'm required to hate the Giants as a team...but I can't help but love some of their players. The Ps - Posey, Panik, Pence, Panda - are all spectacular, first-class ballplayers. Congrats, Giants. You earned it.

Mar 28, 2013
Wish I had a video of him running down first watching the ball instead of lowering your head and getting there. Would come in handy the next time we get in the watch the ball or the first base coach debate.

Oooooooo. He's out at 1!

Can't dog though, Coop umpin' 1st is my bud

Feb 3, 2011
In hind sight we said the same thing. Also it didn't looked like he was running top speed. In reality, it looked like Blanco was going to make the catch. It looked like Perez would have made a clean grab. Probably the right decision. I know everyone would be flippin' if he went and was thrown out.

If he'd gone full speed the whole way or even if he just hadn't turned to look at the outfield when he came around 2nd, he would've had a chance to get there. Given Bumgarner's mastery, you would've had to take the chance IMO, but that last hesitation removed any shot, I think.

I know Hudson didn't hit him on purpose, but when Perez took that shot to the knee his 1st time up, the advantage shifted immediately to the Giants...that and the fact that they got 2-1/3 innings of 1-hit ball from Affeldt. I know that Panik made a brilliant play on the shot by Hosmer, but they didn't have the hit-and-run on with Cain and his hesitation allowed him to be forced at 2nd, and then worse, Hosmer inexplicably elected to dive headlong into 1st. That is ALWAYS slower than running through the bag. I know it was early, but those 2 base-running blunders on a single play ultimately sealed their fate.

Not about to let that teachable moment slide, I told DD that you always, always, always run through the bag at 1st, unless the fielder is standing off the bag and waiting to apply a tag. Only then do you try to get below it.

Jan 23, 2014
It wasn't hindsight that had me saying I wish they had sent Gordon, I was screaming at the coach through the TV when he threw up the brakes:)

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I always point out to the kids that the WS, and playoffs in general, are inevitably punctuated by Little League errors committed by multi-millionaire's.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think Gordon would have been out by a country mile if he went but I did want to see him try.

I don't think him not busting it out of the box cost him. He rounded first and came almost to complete stop when it looked like Blanco was going to catch the ball on a bounce. Then he had to gear back up and he did hustle to 3rd. Unless the 3rd base coach is expecting Perez to kick the ball in the outfield there is no way you send him but he probably should have been further down the line before he held him up.

At any rate even though I dislike the Giants they did play a very good post season and got contributions from nearly everyone on the 25 man roster at some point or other during the post season and MadBum had a historically good world series.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah