Options for mowing outfield grass?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I love coming to you all with my field maintenance questions - your advice on drying an infield was very helpful. I was actually making progress until the heavens opened up and it rained for six straight days, causing 100 year flood conditions.

My latest dilemma is the high school outfield grass. The grass is close to knee high right now - from what I can tell, it hasn't been mowed in about three weeks. The grass was doing well, all seemed OK, until we had about two weeks of steady rain followed by a week's worth of sunshine. The grass has taken off. The district does mow, but on a very occasional sort of a basis.

Has anyone out there mowed an outfield using their regular home mower? Is it an exercise in futility, or will a home (gas powered, but push style) mower, a can of gas, a book on tape, and several hours do the job?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I love coming to you all with my field maintenance questions - your advice on drying an infield was very helpful. I was actually making progress until the heavens opened up and it rained for six straight days, causing 100 year flood conditions.

My latest dilemma is the high school outfield grass. The grass is close to knee high right now - from what I can tell, it hasn't been mowed in about three weeks. The grass was doing well, all seemed OK, until we had about two weeks of steady rain followed by a week's worth of sunshine. The grass has taken off. The district does mow, but on a very occasional sort of a basis.

Has anyone out there mowed an outfield using their regular home mower? Is it an exercise in futility, or will a home (gas powered, but push style) mower, a can of gas, a book on tape, and several hours do the job?

You need to set the mower as tall as it will go and mow at that height. Wait a day, lower the setting and mow again.

You will really stunt that lawn if you mow it shorter when it's that tall. Further, doing it this way will hip with the bagging.

Jul 26, 2010
When I did HS we pretty much had to mow our own field, we had a riding lawnmower that we used for all the mowing + dragging.

When it's that tall you're going to have issues. Regular maint even during off-season is key.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would see if a neighbor to the field doesn't have a garden tractor, or can a boy bring a tractor and a blade? Grass that high is going to need mulched and probably picked up.

With a lawn mower, you are going to wade into it, the grass length will flood the mower, and you'll have to tip it up. Then, sit it down and lift the front, again, every step.

Jul 26, 2010
You can also rent a herd of goats. I'm serious, this is a real thing. You will have to pick up goat poop, but it's easier than mowing tall grass.

-W

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Get a lawn service to come in and do it every so often for free in exchange for a banner on the field. Or maybe one of the parents has a riding mower.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Thanks guys - some good ideas! I've actually seen goats around here - the city employs them to keep the medians trimmed. I'm tempted....

Upon closer inspection, the grass itself isn't too bad, it's the seed heads that they send up. I fear that these would be no match for my dinky walking mower. I like the lawn service idea - that may be my next step. If that fails, I like WM's idea of getting many parents with many mowers.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I would take one of two courses...

1. You can do it yourself....In this case (as DR said) you would want to mow it down in increments (if it's literally knee-high). This will take time, but it's the best thing to do to get you back to normalcy.

2. If it were I...I would call a local buddy in the lawn care/mowing business and pay him to get it back down. They have the machinery to shave it down in increments at a fast speed; while mulching or collecting the clippings. It may cost you $40-50 bucks, but when you consider the value of your time it's probably money well spent. Some locals might even do it for free or for their labor costs only. My point here is....if it's as bad as you say...having someone help you get back to where you can manage it might be the way to go.

IME....When I mowed the field I used a regular riding mower. It goes by pretty quickly; but you need to keep up with it to avoid the clumping or large clippings that will look ugly and can burn the lawn out. The good thing is when you are done you can drag a roller to "stripe" the outfield.

Good Luck and have fun.

T

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog