Mow Outfield With a Backyard Lawnmower?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Desperate times call for desperate measures - especially when the town hasn't mowed the grass in weeks and we've been getting afternoon thunderstorms daily. The grass isn't horrible; it's mostly the long seed stalks that need to be cut down.

Has anyone tried mowing an outfield with a walk-behind gas mower, the kind usually seen only in suburban backyards? It is doable or am I completely nuts?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Charge up the cell phone and plug in your headset. :) I have one of the better 22" walk behind (self propelled) and I would not hesitate to do what needed to be done.

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
As I mentioned in another thread I have used my Chev Lumina (about 15 years ago) to drag the field... and I have push-mowed a part of the outfield. Like mentioned above... it takes some time.

Better to have a family member in landscaping... or a friend ;) to help.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
There are shared mowing duties for my 10u's organization's practice field. All the teams in the organization are assigned 2-3 different weeks that we are in charge of mowing.

On our assigned weeks about 5 or 6 parents from the team show up with our push mowers and get things done in about 20-30 minutes. Works fairly well.

I'd suggest maybe asking for a few volunteer parents to help and you'd have it licked a lot faster than going solo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog