Opinions on moving up....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was told by the HC we would stay in a C class only.

This is very important...if the team truly will play 14U Class C teams, I don't see a problem. Good 12U teams can beat 14U teams day in and day out.

As to your DD's pitching...I think you will find she pitches better against 14U than 12U.

I would move her up.

May 18, 2009
I know a couple of young girls that succeeded at this. They are athletically gifted. One is 10U eligible this year and she plays 12U-A in northern Cal. Her team is moving to 14U next year. Her parents are a little worried because of the size difference. Talent wise she may be the most gifted athlete I've ever seen. She's also faster around the bases than most college players.

My DD, I wouldn't move up if pitching is what she wants to do.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Getting some good advice here....Its starting to look more like most are saying stay within the age group. That is pretty much what I have felt in my gut since I was approached with this. My 4'9" barely 100lb. DD is already pitching to girls near 6 foot 160 solid muscle at 12! Never mind 14. I dont know what they feed these kids! Anyway I don't doubt my DD can hang in there physically because small or not she works her butt off...but its the growth and maturity she still needs. Thanks for all the comments..We as coaches are going to discuss this as a group this weekend. I need to hear what is said but i dont know if im going to give them the answer they want to hear.

I am going to respond because of the bold above, and I disagree.
That said every situation is different. There is Always a grey area.

I caught flack this year for a younger playing 14u for me.
She is the little sister of one of my star players.
She has always practiced with us, since we were 12u, and she was 7.
right now she is a legal 10u player.
She is a stud. She is 5'10. She is batting 650, with driving balls over the heads of outfielders.
she can make sprinting over the shoulder catches, and she has thrown people out from left field (we fixed that).
She runs bases better than high schoolers.

The 12u coaches do not like it.
but what is better for HER? she is with her PEERS, and her equals.

WE, her family and I strolled over to watch the 10u girls, really? the parents said, OH MY !!

we walked over to the 12u, What? I like the answer 12u A, but we are a small town.

always remember, nothing is ALWAYS. Life is not BLACK OR WHITE.

If you HAVE a weaker player, they will be raised UP, by the experienced players, because they will see what can be done. They will be challenged.

Apr 16, 2014
Ok so a somewhat more definite decision was made. I have no t committed to any yet though. Basically I am letting her move up. Most of my decision is based on the fact that she is very adamant about staying with her current teammates. I also ffeel her skill set is high enough to compete. I do worry about mental maturity and keeping her composure but I think that she will gain this over time. I was actually approach by two different teams to take her on as 12u...but I asked if she would like to join those teams and she told me she would rather not play than switch teams...so what can I say to that? I applaud her loyalty and conviction. With the team just dipping their toe in....playing local C tournaments only I think she will do well.

Jun 24, 2013
Besides pitching work with her on OF when you have a chance, some of those 14 YO can really hit the ball. I haven’t seen one leave the yard yet in 14U C but some to the fence. The OFs need to catch the ball or run it down and get it in quickly. Some players are going to hit your DD hard but it seems mixed in the lineup so if you have a good defense your DD will pitch OK to good.

(She also will have a bigger strike zone to pitch to, that's what my DD says)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
It depends on what the goals are. If she just wants to have fun wth her friends, then definitly stay with the team.

If the goal is to become a better ball player or improve her skills, you're not going to find that at 14U C or 14U B.

It's a pretty safe bet the 12U A teams that are interested in your daughter would beat the tar out of any 14U or even 16U C teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1