Opinions on moving up....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2014
I apologize in advance if this is long winded but I need some opinions here.* A few months ago I posted about being frustrated with my dd's travel team of which I am an assistant coach.* I felt they were not practicing enough or taking things serious.* I was told to wait it out and what I was going through is normal.* Well everyone was correct...we are improving greatly,* I enjoy coaching much more, and things are just coming together quite nicely. Here is where I need opinions, * the HC wants the girls to stay together for years to come.* We are a 12 u with half girls needing to move to 14 and half can stay.* He wants to move all up regardless of age, well my dd is only 11 b day in September.* As a parent the prospect of my then 12yo playing against 14 and 15 yo girls is a bit scary .** As a coach I know this is probably the best way to develop an individual and keeping the team together is best for the team.* I was told by the HC we would stay in a C class only.*I was approached privately by the HC and the president of the organization and asked if I would consider this.* They told me they think she's ready and would like her to stay with the organization as long as possible.* I feel her skill level and drive is high enough to compete at this level but i am not sure about the mental maturity gap of a 12 to 14/15yo.* She plays first base and pitches...she is unbelievable at 1st not worried there....pitching worries me she has made tremendous improvements and works hard but still has many flaws that older girls may have had more years to work on. She has only been pitching for a little under two years....and I don't want to take any fun out of it at such a young age. I have asked her what she thinks and she says she wants to move up and stay with the team. She even told me "I will show u I'm ready". What do u folks think?

Jun 24, 2013
If you think your DD is in the top ½ of the Team talent wise or will get there working over this off-season move up with the Team if she likes them. C level Team can mean a lot. Probably a lot of throw strikes pitchers and pitchers that throw the ball hard but do not have any idea where it is going.

It is hard to find a Team you and your DD like so that would weigh a lot in my decision.

Smallish 12YO DD plays on what I would consider a 14U C Team and is doing fine.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
If she has the desire to "show you she is ready" then move up. She obviously believes she is. I would want my kid to stay with a team she loves. That is what makes it fun.

Jun 11, 2013
If I read this correctly your DD will turn 12 in September. My DD turned 12 last September and we moved from an all '01 team to a mainly 00 and 99 team playing 14U (A) this year. She is the shortest one on the team, but it's not a huge difference. We have played some 16 and 18U teams in the spring. Bigger kids, but not intimidated.

Physically, it hasn't been that big of a jump from 12 to 14. She has improved and remains a solid hitter at 14U. Defense has taken a little more time to catch up, but she is doing OK.

The part that has been hard is the mental side of playing on an older team. Having 14 sometimes 15 year old teammates has been hard for her. The whole boyfriend thing and maturity has been tough. Going from a leader on at 12U team to not yet one has a been a difficult adjustment. Missed the old friends,etc.

It wasn't my decision to move up, but I still struggle with it. It's made here a much better player, but it's hurt some of her enthusiasm for the game.

Feb 3, 2011
As a 3B/catcher dad, I'm not putting my DD on the field with players in metal cleats until she has to move to 14u.

Apr 16, 2014
Canyon Joe yes will be 12 this Sept.

A "pro" is that she will be with the same girls...The HC is looking to make very few additions or subtractions.
So we will be a young team at 14u. My DD is the shortest and close to the youngest. The oldest just turned 13 ....so no girl would be 14 at the start of next tourney season. Yes I have been told by several people with in the organization that she is top half and probably top half of that half. This is all new to me...I would never want to damage my child. She has never "gotten tired of it" and I don't want that to happen.

All comments are great so far keep them coming if possible...TY!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877