obstruction on third strike in the dirt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
No books handy right now to reference, but this used to be in either the (ASA) Rules Supplement or the Umpire Manual. I believe that it was dropped a few years ago when the books were reorganized.

Which begs the question...when an interpretation is dropped from the interpretive literature, does it still apply? Again, going from memory and recollection here: I believe that ASA addressed this on their website (Plays and Clarifications) back a few years ago. And I'll let somebody else sift through all those old clarifications... :)

http://www.teamusa.org/usa-softball/umpires/rule-clarifications-and-plays

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
No books handy right now to reference, but this used to be in either the (ASA) Rules Supplement or the Umpire Manual. I believe that it was dropped a few years ago when the books were reorganized.

Which begs the question...when an interpretation is dropped from the interpretive literature, does it still apply? Again, going from memory and recollection here: I believe that ASA addressed this on their website (Plays and Clarifications) back a few years ago. And I'll let somebody else sift through all those old clarifications... :)

Rule Clarifications and Plays

Found something close to the OP:

Play: (Fast Pitch) With no outs and R1 on 2B B2 swings at strike three, and the catcher misses the ball and it rolls out in front of the plate. B2 immediately moves to run to 1B and F2 stops to let B2 by before trying to pick up the ball. The umpire calls dead ball and the batter out for interference.

Ruling: If in the judgment of the umpire the Batter-Runner interfered with F2s ability to make a play then B2 would be out. If in the judgment of the umpire the Batter-Runner did not confuse, hinder or impede F2 from making a play then no interference could also be the call in this play. Bottom line this call is umpire judgment.

Rule 1 definitions and Rule 8 Section 2F [6}
February 2012 Plays and Clarifications

Nov 29, 2009
Ruling: If in the judgment of the umpire the Batter-Runner interfered with F2s ability to make a play then B2 would be out. If in the judgment of the umpire the Batter-Runner did not confuse, hinder or impede F2 from making a play then no interference could also be the call in this play. Bottom line this call is umpire judgment.

So what it sounds like is a D3K is treated the same way as a batted ball with regards to the umpire judgement for interference by a batter/runner.

Mar 2, 2013

Rule Clarifications and Plays

Unfortunately, this is so true. ASA regularly changes things in the rules book and doesn't highlight or bring attention to them. It turns into a, "Where the hell did that go?" situation. Other times they amend/tweak something and don't note it anywhere.

Unless a specific interpretation is withdrawn or overruled, it will still be good. Unfortunately, ASA will never say, "On second thought, we are going to rule this way in that situation." They create vague, often contradictory interpretations which just lead to confusion.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Unfortunately, this is so true. ASA regularly changes things in the rules book and doesn't highlight or bring attention to them. It turns into a, "Where the hell did that go?" situation. Other times they amend/tweak something and don't note it anywhere.

Unless a specific interpretation is withdrawn or overruled, it will still be good. Unfortunately, ASA will never say, "On second thought, we are going to rule this way in that situation." They create vague, often contradictory interpretations which just lead to confusion.

Well, actually these are discussed and disseminated through the Supervisors, RUICs and state/metro UICs. If it doesn't come down further down the line, you may want to look locally. This is why I ran a web site and e-mail list. If I got something from OKC or a deputy supervisor, the umpires in my area received the information within 24 hours. Same from the Nat UIC Clinic or any meeting with any RUIC or supervisor.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse