Numbers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
10u dd pitched 2 great games this Sunday. Take a look at these numbers, let me know if they look good.

First game was 6 innings, 14 k's, 118 pitches, 71 were strikes, 47 balls

Second game, 4 innings, 8 k's, 94 pitches, 52 strikes, 42 balls.

We won both games. The number of K's listed is both swinging and called.

Feb 7, 2013
Generally, pretty darn good. However, you need to also look at WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched) and ERA, among other stats to get the full picture. At 10U, if its under 2.00 (WHIP) and 3.00 (ERA), that's very good. I would also look at the average number of pitches thrown per inning. 13-15 ppi is really good. In her first game, she averaged 19.66 and the second game, 23.5 ppi in the 2nd game. Which tells me there is more to the story that all the K's. Do you have dropped third strikes and did some players reach first on DTS? When my DD played 10U, she racked up the K's because she was sometimes striking our 4 or 5 batters an inning because of the DTS (catcher's were learning the position, some batters would swing at really bad pitches, 1st baseman would drop the ball, etc). Lastly, her strike ratio is 55% & 60%. I think the sweet spot is around 65% (and if you are playing rec, probably closer to 70%).

Overall, looks like she is on the right track.

Oct 3, 2009
My DD who is a math freak concocted her own stat which she calls the dominance ratio. It is basically KsPerInningAvg divided by WHIP. Basically she says if you K as many or more batters than you allow on base through walks and hits you have dominated them. Or in other words you want a "dominance ratio" above 1.0. Now we can debate if that is true or even if she invented it. She claims she did and I have not verified. :)

So in the first game the Ks per inning average was 2.33 so if her WHIP was at or below 2.33 my DD would say she was dominant. All for what it is worth! The only final thing I would say is it also really depends on the competition you were facing. That can cause a wide variance obviously.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
WHIP is at 1.978 for the first game with an ERA of 2.077

2nd game was 1.937 whip 2.137 era

Playing USSSA C, so no dropped 3rd strike.

She threw 1 inning in our last game of the day and was a little off, talked to her and she said her arm was hurting and pulled her. Arm is sore today, but she says its not to bad. She is pretty good about telling me when she is starting to get tired and needs to sit.

I am new into looking at all the stats and we have been using Game Changer to keep track. I don't really know what is considered a good number for each stat.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Here's her stats for the year so far.

IP: 30.1

GP: 11

GS: 10

H: 29

R: 16

ER: 10

BB: 34

K: 66

HBP: 3

ERA: 1.978

WHIP: 2.077

Feb 7, 2013
WHIP is at 1.978 for the first game with an ERA of 2.077

2nd game was 1.937 whip 2.137 era

Playing USSSA C, so no dropped 3rd strike.

She threw 1 inning in our last game of the day and was a little off, talked to her and she said her arm was hurting and pulled her. Arm is sore today, but she says its not to bad. She is pretty good about telling me when she is starting to get tired and needs to sit.

I am new into looking at all the stats and we have been using Game Changer to keep track. I don't really know what is considered a good number for each stat.

A couple of things. Glad you pulled her when she said her arm was sore. 200 actual game pitches is really like 300+ pitches when you factor in pregame warm-ups and in-between innings pitches.

Gamechanger is great to keep track of stats. Over time you will see a correlation between certain stats and her performance so you can set a bench mark. You can also compare her stats to her peers which will help you in analyzing important stats. Some stats are like to track are:

WHIP (less than 2.00)
ERA (less than 2.00)
Strikeout to walk ratio (2/1 or better)
Opposing Team's Batting Average (less than .250)
Accuracy (65% - 70%) + or - 5%
PPI (pitches per inning around 15)

With that said, some of the stats are only as good as the scorekeeper. For example, some rarely record errors (or if its the pitchers DD) all hits are errors:) Enjoy the GC stats but generally they are only one tool to determine the success and improvement of the player.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Based on her stats I conclude she needs a better defense behind her :)

The only thing I really see is that a walk per inning is an area to improve. But please do not let her pitch until her arm is sore. 200 pitches in a day is just too much for a 10 Year old girl. No USSSA C trophy is worth an overuse injury.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
We try to be as fair and correct as possible with the Game Changer. It is my DD that we are talking about and my wife is the one running game changer. All hits aren't errors. LOL

I have the whole team to worry about, so I am pretty serious when it comes to getting the stuff inputted right. I have a score keeper that uses the book in the dugout, who is another players dad and is really good at keeping a book. I always go back and look at what he has vs what was put in GC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG