number of practice pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2012
Middle TN
My DD is 8yr old. She has slowly started pitching for about a year (meaning that she will pitch about 1 once a week and took off most of the spring and early summer.) Recently, she is pitching more often,like 2-3 times a week. I have talked to her PC about her pitching more often, he suggest that she should only pitch about 50 pitches 1-2 days a week and 1 long session of about 1 hour. Today, I counted her pitches and she pitched 50 pitches within 15 mins. I was wondering if this is not enough pitches?

thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't agree with the one long session of about an hour, but that may be his lesson. A normal little 8 year old throws overhand to me, warms up pitching and then, practices for about 30 minutes, with water breaks.

50 pitches sounds good, after warm ups, but I am more towards the 3-4-5 days a week.

May 11, 2012
That depends.

If she is pitching because its something she wanted to learn and likes to pitch every once in a while in games, then you are probably right on the money. If she loves to pitch and she wants to be a teams top pitcher, then I think working your way towards 4 days a week is more appropriate. Considering she has a PC, I would assume she is pretty serious about it. I think 4 days is a good line to walk. Not too much for a kid her age but also enough to make sure her technique is improving at a steady pace.

Nov 29, 2009
When I'm working with a girl that young I plan on an hour lesson. Usually with one that young close to 50-60% of the lesson is taken up with explaining and demonstrating things in the pitching motion making sure they understand what they are trying to accomplish. So they are not pitching for an hour straight. They will pitch for a little while then take a break for water and instruction. I monitor them closely. If they are starting to show sign of fatigue and/or the attention has waned we stop.

I will tell the parents to work with the girls usually 2 days a week. I have them not set a specific number of pitches or time. Rather, I tell them to watch for signs of tiring then go for a few minutes more before stopping in order to slowly build up their endurance. Each girl's endurance level is different. So the cookie cutter "X" amount of pitches does not necessarily work with all of them.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She is 8 right?

50 pitches after she warms up 3 times a week is great. Take the extra time and add that to doll playing, frog chasing and practicing her hide and seek technique.

Jun 24, 2012
Middle TN
Thanks for all of the advice. In the 1 hour pitching session, we do pitch for a while and take frequent breaks. Plus we work on new pitches like change up and end with last 10 mins of pitching hard to build up her endurance. Just here lately she is wanting to pitch all the time, and when she starts she doesn't want to quit. I just dont want to discourage her from pitching or hurt her arm. I think we will try more freq. with less time and start her on conditioning building because I know that she wants to be the ace pitcher next year.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At 8YOA, 50 to a hundred pitchers, in addition to warm ups, drills, etc., sounds good. As Screwby and Amy said, there is an attention span issue. Don't go overboard and make sure she is having some fun.

May 11, 2012
I know me and my 9 year old sometimes like to put the gloves down, right in the middle of practicing and lie in the grass to admire the clouds different shapes and try to identify the different airplanes that go by. Fun should be a big part of the game at any age IMO, but especially at 8 years old. Great points made by all. Besides it not only keeps it fun for her and me, but it sometimes keeps dad from passing out trying to keep up with an active 9 year old.

Jun 24, 2012
Middle TN
I do believe in having fun and not focusing on playing ball all the time. Pitching is something that she has wanted to do ever since she was 6 yrs old. In all respect, most 8 yr old do not have a long attention span. Unfortunately, we do not have that issue. Instead, she is very determined. Once she makes up her mind she is going to do something she wants to continue to work at it until she masters it.

All of the advice that has been given is very much appreciated and will be applied to her pitching practice. I just have to limit her before she hurts herself or us. Hopefully soon I will be able to post a few videos for some critique.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1