Not opening shoulders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
My DD10 is not getting her shoulders open. I have now brought it to the attention to both her former pitching coach as well as her new one, and they have not given any insight. Her hips are opening, I would assume they are not as open as they could be with the closed shoulders. This doesn't happen on every pitch,but enough to be a problem.

Jan 23, 2014
I will work on the video. Our net took a dump so I am always catching, and I also catch at lessons. Hopefully they will have her pitch at practice tonight.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Focus on getting her stride knee out early. Try the 2-Step I posted in the Drive Mechanics sticky earlier.

Hard to tell without the video, but I would guess her drive off the plate isn't as aggressive as it could be... and that she's leading with the foot as opposed to the knee.

Also, you might look at the timing of her backswing motion and the orientation of her shoulders during the backswing. If she opens during the backswing... she has to close, then re-open, and then partially close again. That's a lot of motion to pull off successfully in one pitch. If her timing of the backswing is proper, her pitching arm should be traveling rearward, as her body is traveling forward. This is an important overlapping sequence. Ultimately, you want her hips/pelvis open... and leg at maximum extension around 3 o'clock (RHP).

Again, all that stuff is covered in the latest Drive Mechanics post. Hope it helps! ~JS

Jan 23, 2014
Focus on getting her stride knee out early. Try the 2-Step I posted in the Drive Mechanics sticky earlier.

Hard to tell without the video, but I would guess her drive off the plate isn't as aggressive as it could be... and that she's leading with the foot as opposed to the knee.

Also, you might look at the timing of her backswing motion and the orientation of her shoulders during the backswing. If she opens during the backswing... she has to close, then re-open, and then partially close again. That's a lot of motion to pull off successfully in one pitch. If her timing of the backswing is proper, her pitching arm should be traveling rearward, as her body is traveling forward. This is an important overlapping sequence. Ultimately, you want her hips/pelvis open... and leg at maximum extension around 3 o'clock (RHP).

Again, all that stuff is covered in the latest Drive Mechanics post. Hope it helps! ~JS

This helps a lot! Thank you. We are always working on having a more explosive drive, and I am sure most of the time it is her foot leading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog