Not happy with your team, just sue them.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
From the looks this is indoor volleyball.

I'm wondering, from those that support the player breaking her contact, how do you handle fund shortages?

If this girl is paying a monthly fee that covers facility costs, and wants to break her contact, do you let her jump to another team? Who makes up for the lack of funds? The coach? The other players?

This is if a player wants to change teams, not if they quit.

Dec 19, 2012
Just wish we could get the full story. My daughter, who is also play softball, plays volleyball for a club that is in in this particular association that is getting sued.

Problem is, is that we don't know the whole story. She was told she was the best at tryouts, here's the dough, oh now you aren't that great.

Being told she was the best at tryouts and she would get plenty of playing time is heresay unless the coach and the association come out and admit to it. This young lady played JV her sophomore year. I didn't even see her name on any school team her freshman year. It doesn't sound like she is a stud player. She might have had a GREAT tryout. It doesn't matter. It does not guarantee playing time. Now the family is pouting because she is a backup.

My older dd's freshman year she snapped a metatarsal bone in her foot and was unable to play volleyball for her HS. She was cleared just in time to try out for club. She had played club for the prior three years and was the setter (in a 5-1) for a regional 14U team that finished 5th out of 240+ teams. She was still weak and a bit rusty trying out for the 15U American team. The 15U coach was new to the club and did not offer my dd a spot but did have her on the alternate list. My dd was devastated. Not once did I think about calling the association, the coach, blah blah blah. Eventually a setter spot opened up on the team and she took it. She was told that she would be the backup to the other setter. After about a month the tides turned: My dd was the starting setter and the other girl was the backup. Not once did she or her parents complain to the coach, association, blah blah blah. As a matter of fact, our families became good friends and hung out together out of town at the tournaments. We ended up having another great year and the other setter became a very good DS. The team stayed together for 16's and 17's and we had great runs always finishing in the top 10.

Anyway, it appears to me that this family needs to take the parent goggles off and face reality, and that reality is to find another place to play.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I saw the mom and daughter on Good Morning America, yesterday.

I have had a thought. I have known coaches to take a girl, that they had no intentions of playing - just so another team didn't get her. If that happens in softball, maybe it happened here.

Jan 23, 2014
I'm wondering if that's not the case as well, Amy. Or the coach takes her knowing he prefers the other setter he has, but wants to ensure he has the best possible back up available should an injury happen. More than likely most players just sit with their heads down and ride out the season. This particular player went to the coach with her concerns, was given the option to stay on and practice or look for a new team. She chose the latter, found a team that could/would use her, was offered a release from current coach and went to league who then said no way. It's ridiculous. Commitment is a two way street. Yes, we don't know if the coach told her she was the best in try outs and all that, it is hear say. But if she had multiple offers, there is a good chance the coach used some language that would lead her to believe she would contribute to the team. It wouldn't be the first time it's been done in any sport.
If you are hired for a job and you feel that the job description doesn't match what you are actually doing, chances are you have a talk with your boss. If things don't change, you look for a new job. You don't sit there and take it. That's the real world.

Dec 19, 2012
Lenski:
Not so true. There are almost 50, 60??? teams in that volleyball league from around the Washington DC metro area and beyond. This is not an organization, it is a league, affiliated with USA Volleyball. There is no place for her to go.

Why not? USA volleyball is set up by regions, not leagues. Washington DC/Northern Virginia is in the Chesapeake region. She can find another club in the region that is not part of her league. She could also move to another region like the Old Dominion region. She has options.

Dec 19, 2012
Most volleyball clubs this age run a 6-2 offense. For people not familiar with volleyball, that means the the team uses 2 setters (one at a time) and the setters position remains in the back row. Very few teams we went up against ran a 5-1 (setter stays in the entire time) and we never saw a 4-2 offense (setters remain in front row) My guess is this team has 2 starting setters and she is #3 or #4.

Dec 19, 2012
CHRVA is the region affiliated with USA volleyball (Chesapeake Region Volleyball Assocation). I have no idea what the "league" is. If they're not allowing it then she could move to the Old Dominion region (which is another region of USA Volleyball), unless it's USA Volleyball that is in actuality blocking the move.

Aug 20, 2013
Again, sounds like there is way more to the story than we know. It really is hard to have an opinion when like another poster said, we don't know what she was told at try outs. As to the team being short on funds, how about the player being short on development? No one would put out that cash for any travel team if they were told they were not going to play the entire season.

Would anyone here put their daughter on a team, with no prospect of playing--heck no!

What would be the point? A. You take them cause they are good and it helps your team-ok, B. you take them for your practice, B group to help your team win-ok, but this should be made clear, C-you take them so another team can't have them-NOT OK, D-you take them for their "club support money"--def. NOT ok. So the league has at least 4 different options with what to do with a player, shouldn't the player have a few?

Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, calling it the league proves the lack of information and understanding. It is not a league.

Anyway, here's what I get out of it so far: As stated above, we do not have all of the information. We are also hearing only one side of the story because the team, club, and Chesapeake Region are smartly remaining mum. We will probably never know the whole truth.

It does however make a point: Be very careful what you sign. Do not believe everything you hear or think you hear. Go to a team with the understanding that you might lock yourself into said team for the entire season. Do not assume that your child will receive any playing time, unless stated in the contract or are in a rec "league" that requires minimum play time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1