Not happy with your team, just sue them.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Why not let the girl go to a different team? Precedence? I would cut her if I was the coach which would make her free to join wherever. This seems like a coach that knew he was getting some $$$$ to fund a better player that couldn't afford it.

Now that being said it's a very one sided article.
According to the article, the coach isn't the issue. The issue is with the league not approving it.

The coach gave Audrey two options: She could be a practice player for the Juniors or transfer to another team in the league. She chose the latter option, and her parents found a team willing to take her.

But the league, which must approve such moves, said it would set a bad precedent. According to league bylaws, players can switch teams only if they demonstrate a “verifiable hardship,” a rule that was not spelled out in the contract Audrey signed.

I think it is unfortunate the team was named in the suit along with the league. I suspect there are legal reasons and strategies for doing so. I don't have any sympathy for the league's legal woes because they're self-inflicted. Their primary concerns should just be confirming that the team is okay with the player leaving and the teams aren't colluding so both qualify for postseason.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree, Amy. I just read the entire article. I don't understand how allowing players to transfer teams if they want will bring down the entire league.

The first thing they should look at is whether teams/coaches are being honest with players. Don't tell a kid she's going to be a starter when you have no intention of playing her. That's unethical. If the league and the teams do a good job of working with their players and developing them while being honest with them, there shouldn't be a whole lot of transfers. I wonder what the league knows about itself that worries them? Also, why keep a kid on a team when she wants to leave? That usually doesn't work out well for anyone.

The family is not blameless, however. Sounds like the Juniors were the most prestigious team to be on and they wanted the bragging rights. The girl had three other offers where she might have been a better fit but chose not to go to any of them. Sounds like it wasn't so much about the girl playing volleyball as the girl getting a shot at a scholarship. At least for the parents.

It's a sad situation all the way around.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Did you notice that the article mentions the parent's business? I don't see how that had anything to do with the problem.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I consulted with my buddy who is a volleyball coach and he said leagues are trying to prevent players from transferring team just to create a "stacked" team. Kind of like ASA does at qualifiers, redlining players to a team. ASA now allows players to switch teams, but they ASA has to approve the transfer.

May 13, 2012
From the club point of view I understand why they aren't allowing transfers. Like softball orgs they can have more than one team same age group. May be same talent level or A and B. They have tryouts and try to make as many competitive teams as possible (more teams more money of course) with each team having say 9 players. Take setter is #2 playing up, she transfers down age to be #1 on that team. Setter there is now #2 looking for spot on team to be #1 and more playing time and the cycle continues. We do the same in softball when posters recommend that a pitcher go to team for more circle time. I have never been involved with a large softball org. But could see top team with a stud and no real #2 because every #2 transfers to a team to be #1. Problems occur when the money starts and the more money involved the bigger the problems. After the VB experience we stay with small independent SB travel teams so hopefully we know where we stand on the playing time issue. Disclaimer I dont like club VB but i try to understand both sides on these types of situations. How many posts have been on here asking/venting/complaining about playing time and I bet most of the time the money isn't as much as the article is talking about

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
It is a ridiculous lawsuit that runs the risk of ruining future chances for the daughter. However, i hope the league has great reasons for not allowing the transfer. Maybe it's a timing thing. Regardless, the courts need to be kept out of this type of situation. We badly need a loser pays system for frivilous lawsuits. The parents don't care a lick about league fairness, either. They want another team to take their daughter, and cause the exact same thing to happen to somebody else. RIDICULOUS!

Dec 19, 2012
I'm with the association on this one. Through practice and scrimmages, other setters emerged as the starters and now mommy, daddy, and daughter are upset that she's not playing in games. I understand the association not wanting to allow a transfer because it could open up the can of worms of all bench players in the club requesting transfers. The association does not owe this young lady playing time. They do owe her the ability to increase her skill level.

Dec 19, 2012
Kids just want to play. If the league thinks letting her transfer, will cause a mass exodus of players - they have a problem. Even the NCAA allows transfers. It is a sport, not the military.

I'm sure she can transfer the next season. Does the NCAA allow transfers during the season? This family is requesting an in-season transfer.

Aug 20, 2013
Just wish we could get the full story. My daughter, who is also play softball, plays volleyball for a club that is in in this particular association that is getting sued.

Problem is, is that we don't know the whole story. She was told she was the best at tryouts, here's the dough, oh now you aren't that great. You never know all the back and forth. People who start and run most clubs and leagues do it for the love of the game, yes, but of course for the money as well. How many players does the team carry--that is the first question I would ask. You really shouldn't carry more than 9 or 10 players on a Volleyball team. Some say 12 for practice, but that really isn't fair to take all 6 families money knowing full well, they are just your practice squad.

If I was courted to sign with a group saying I was the best and then benched, I don't think that is right and I would make trouble as well. But again, we won't ever get the whole story. Obviously if she isn't good enough to play, then she wouldn't be looking to move to stack another team--let her go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes