Not a proud parent moment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
DD(12) "worked out" in a scrimmage for a travel team yesterday. We went to a practice last week and they invited us back for the scrimmage. So she played, pitched 1 2/3 inning (not bad) and then worked the OF. I was upset she wasn't hustling enough. I tried to hold it in, but let one play get to me.

After the scrimmage and team meeting she came to me saying she was cold (she wouldn't wear her underarmor or hoodie like I suggested). I sent her to the car while I talked to the coach.

On the drive home she's just spent. All but falls asleep (not normal). She curls up in bed at home. Feels a little warm. Wakes up twice during the night to throw up! (uh oh). Take her the doctor today... strep throat! I'm guessing it was starting to set in as the game went on which is why she seemed to get slower & slower to me. I had no idea. I thought she was simply upset. whoops.

Tough kid, seems like a gamer. Dont kick yourself to hard. Young athletes are still kids ya know, maybe she doesn't like to broadcast she's not feeling good so as to not be looked at as whimpy to the team she's trying out for?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've had that happen before, with my own kids and other players. Unless they say something, you expect to see the level of play you're used to from them. When you don't you get upset.

Don't beat yourself up too much. In fact, be glad that was the cause. Strep throat is a lot easier to cure than laziness or disinterest.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
My DD was catching in a 12U game, really hot, she was getting dehydrated, we were pumping fluids in her when they were up to bat. Then suddenly, she looks at me, makes a mad dash to the garbage barrel, and pukes in the can. She's soaking wet from sweat, water poured over her, worshipping the plastic God. There's a pause, she looks up at me and says "Don't tell Mom.". She put her mask on and went out to finish the game.

My wife would have yanked her from the game and she didn't want to come out. I don't know if I handled that well or not to tell you the truth. I just stood there stunned.

So don't feel bad, I think we all had those moments.

Dec 28, 2008
I jumped all over my daughter who caught, after she dropped a critical third strike in the late innings. She held her tongue until after the game and then showed me her hand. She had broken two fingers on her catching hand during warmups for the game and never said a word. You wish you could reel the words back in, but you can't. You just have to apologize, ask for forgiveness, and pray like mad that next time you have ESP.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Last fall, my DD was complaining of knee pain. We took her to ortho who did MRI. We didn't have the results before the next tournament. Coach sat her the first game. DD wanted back in, but knew she wouldn't be allowed if she was favoring the knee. She showed coach she could run full speed without limping. She played every inning the next 6 games, batted .600 for the weekend. We got the MRI results Monday morning - torn medial meniscus. I felt like mother of the year.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My proud parent/coach highlight last season was running my DD into the OF fence during pre-game flyballs. I handled it rather well I thought - yelled at the other OFs that they should be more vocal about letting their teammates know where the fence was! Thank goodness it wasn't another one of my players. I didn't tell Mom about that one until DD ratted me out. I just said if she wasn't just an ignorant catcher, she'd have known to find the fence first. Mom's reaction? She said that for once I was right! BTW - I'm retired from coach (others that is)!

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
I have one that probably tops everyone and I am ashamed of myself for it. The sport was soccer and it was my son. He was in 4th grade. He wasn't the greatest player, but he seemed to like playing. I never expected him to be amazing, but I did expect him to give 100% on the field. I didn't think that was too much to ask.

One day, in a game, he basically stood there and let the other team kick the ball right by him without even trying to stop them. He just didnt seem to be in the game and he made some crucial errors that was a big factor in us losing. Well, I got caught up in the moment and felt embarrassed when the other parents were obviously upset.

After the game, I yelled at him and told him that I wouldn't make him play, but if he was going to, he wasn't going to embarrass me like that and not even show any effort. Well, if yelling at him for MY short comings of being so small that I let the out come of a 4th grade kids soccer game get to me, we found out a few days later that he was a severe diabetic and his blood sugars were almost 1000 (yes, 1000). The reason he didn't play as "I expected him too" was because he was extremely sick and COULDN'T

Trust me, I have spent the last 10 years feeling ashamed, guilty and apologing to him for that NOT A PROUD PARENT MOMENT.

I am still ashamed and embarrassed to post this. And, trust me, I did learn a lesson that day

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
"I am still ashamed and embarrassed to post this. And, trust me, I did learn a lesson that day "

I think we've all shown that we've been there. The important thing as people and parents is that we learn from our mistakes. Fortunately, our children are pretty resilient and usually understand parents are people too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877