No catcher for pitching lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I think before cancelling her lesson, I'd throw into a bownet or tarp. Still a lot that can be worked on without a catcher. You would need a bucket of good pitching balls to keep from having to stop and pickup the one thrown ball.

Jul 17, 2012
I think before cancelling her lesson, I'd throw into a bownet or tarp. Still a lot that can be worked on without a catcher. You would need a bucket of good pitching balls to keep from having to stop and pickup the one thrown ball.

I'm going to assume that the Pitching Coach requires a catcher. I know a few that will not conduct a lesson without a catcher. But if you need one, she'll provide, but she then charges like 10 or 15 more per session. Just know because my dd was asked to do it a couple times when her dad had surgery and couldn't sit on the bucket. DD dabbled a bit with catching during little league.

Feb 7, 2013
You need to gear up. When DD went to 14u, I bought shin guards, a catcher's mask, and steel toed boots. Other options are to have her PC catch for her, if that is an option?

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I have 2 DD catchers and a DS catcher. We offer every team that we are on that if a pitcher has lessons let us know and if we are available the will come catch for them. We have even caught for pitchers that the pitching instructor has asked them to catch for. As a result my girls have had the opportunity to catch for some very good pitchers which has made them better catchers. In a two year time span they went from low B team catchers to being the primary catchers on two high A travel teams and they attribute it to being able to catch for some real D1 college prospects during lessons.

During lessons the pitchers are trying all sorts of new stuff and as result my DD's spend a lot of time blocking and moving lateral to receive pitches which translates into a better game catcher. During the lessons my DD's get a lot of feed back from the pitchers and instructors on their catching that will help the pitchers during a game, almost like a free lesson.

If your DD catches and take lessons I highly recommend that they seek out a pitcher to catch for as it more time behind the plate and will be a win win for your DD and her team.

My 14yo DS has caught for several FP pitchers and he has said it helps him in tracking and catching breaking pitches as he said a softball move a lot more that a baseball does.

Last edited:
we usually have my DD's catcher come to her practices but sometimes she cant make it so I have full gear myself that I bought at a used sporting goods store for like 50 bucks well worth the money cause those rogue pitches can sting a lot and im always on a bucket the days of catching without one are long gone :)

Apr 29, 2013
You need to gear up. When DD went to 14u, I bought shin guards, a catcher's mask, and steel toed boots. Other options are to have her PC catch for her, if that is an option?

I just don't have the reflexes anymore. She throws too hard for me.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nothing wrong with that, if you are uncomfortable you will just get hurt.

You are not getting slower, they are getting better. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877