No catcher for pitching lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
Long gone are the days where I can sit on a bucket and catch for my daugher, age 16. And now we have an ongoing problem with getting her team catchers to commit to coming to her lessons every week to catch for her. We had one who said she'd do it, but has missed more sessions than she's attended. Last minute cancellations = we have to pay anyway, and daughter misses her lesson if we can't find a replacement.

Trouble is, every other catcher we know already catches for her own team's pitchers. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? This has been huge frustration for me and I feel a little bit helpless to solve it. I've tried enlisting the help of her coaches and they always say they'll figure something out, but nothing is ever figured out. Daughter is the team's #1 pitcher, and she can't attend her lessons!

Any advice?

Aug 26, 2015
Long gone are the days where I can sit on a bucket and catch for my daugher, age 16. And now we have an ongoing problem with getting her team catchers to commit to coming to her lessons every week to catch for her. We had one who said she'd do it, but has missed more sessions than she's attended. Last minute cancellations = we have to pay anyway, and daughter misses her lesson if we can't find a replacement.

Trouble is, every other catcher we know already catches for her own team's pitchers. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? This has been huge frustration for me and I feel a little bit helpless to solve it. I've tried enlisting the help of her coaches and they always say they'll figure something out, but nothing is ever figured out. Daughter is the team's #1 pitcher, and she can't attend her lessons!

Any advice?

Can you check with a 14U catcher to see if she'd like the opportunity?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Do you pay the catchers? My DD is a catcher and she does it for free but I coach so I don't like the idea of charging my players for that. However catchers only last so long, knees, lower back and arms. Every pitch your DD throws is one that has to be returned. I would say a little monetary motivation might get you a regular catcher.

Jul 17, 2012
Do you offer transportation for the catcher? I would assume yes, but if not, that may be a problem. How about her PC? Did you ask her? She may know someone, especially if you offered a few bucks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Might be down to paying...but definitely try 14U or look for girl trying to make JV team looking for extra work, find someone who coaches catchers and see if you can work something out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877