Nice video of Japanese Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
Awesome stuff and the links to links are putting me into overload!

Here's another with Ueno showing brush (I think... at 6:00)

My friend at work helped with a bit of interpretation - pretty much what we could tell by the pictures but still fun to have her look at it. At about the 6:15 mark she said it says "release the ball just in front of the thigh" Then she says it is a rise ball and "don't stop just because you release the ball, keep the same form until you're done, similar to golf." At about the 7:20 mark when she is working on the drop ball she tells the students to "focus on the movement of the wrist not the shoulder or the arm".

Mar 12, 2009
Txnick. Look at this one!

ウインドミル 莉奈2009.5.14 - YouTube

It seems like the Japanese teach pitching in progressions. Can u help me find a video that shows them working on the leap and drag of the pitch?

This video is perfect for what I am doing w/ the girls I am helping! I love teaching with the eyes. " Picture safes a thousand words!" Is that Chinese or Japanese? LOL!

Thanks Txnick!

This girl looks really good!

Mar 12, 2009
Ueno is not a closed style pitcher. She is open at release then closes the hip well after release to get herself into a good fielding position.

Mar 12, 2009
Txnick. Look at this one!

ウインドミル 莉奈2009.5.14 - YouTube

It seems like the Japanese teach pitching in progressions. Can u help me find a video that shows them working on the leap and drag of the pitch?

This video is perfect for what I am doing w/ the girls I am helping! I love teaching with the eyes. " Picture safes a thousand words!" Is that Chinese or Japanese? LOL!

Thanks Txnick!

Isn't the drill this girl is doing pretty much the same drill BM suggested to help Boomers DD a year or so ago?

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Cool video of a Japanese pitcher

[video=youtube_share;qzK0YAZchtU]http://youtu.be/qzK0YAZchtU?list=PL16EDD12A8C23559F[/video]

My 10u DD intently watches and re-watches these videos you folks most graciously post.

First thing out of her mouth after watching this one is: "She's turning her foot when pushing off, isn't that supposed to be a no-no?"

As a semi-pro youtube bucket dad all I could do is shrug my shoulders at her and respond "I think so"

Is she right? and why?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
First thing out of her mouth after watching this one is: "She's turning her foot when pushing off, isn't that supposed to be a no-no?"

As a semi-pro youtube bucket dad all I could do is shrug my shoulders at her and respond "I think so"

Is she right? and why?

This was a topic when I first joined this board... and reappears every once in awhile. I remember lurking for awhile... but as a former runner, I had to chime in! Toe turn-out SHOULD NOT be discouraged. It's completely natural. All sprinters do it, and most every high-level pitcher I've seen does it.

I recommend filming your DD sprinting. Watch the turn-out that happens. Once you've seen that, you'll know what level is good to see her use on the plate.

NOT doing it... well... that can cause all sorts of issues. Taking a step with toe forward vs toe slightly outward, prevents our hips to more naturally open... something that many younger pitchers struggle with. Even worse... are PC's that create a FORCED (like those horrible red foot prisons they sell) position... thus preventing the hips and shoulders from opening on time. The arm-circle... and general shoulder wellness can suffer, too.

A good comparison... if you watch most high-level hitters... you'll notice that there is some light degree of toe-opening when they stride. Some call it flair (sp?)... and it allows the body/hips to rotate naturally. As with anything... too much should be avoided, but a pitchers desire to do it really makes a difference in the efficiency of shoulder movements over top.

A little Hansen goes along way (except in the 90's... those guys were horrible):

243ksyc.gif

Note how free Blaire's hips are to open... and... how early they open.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This was a topic when I first joined this board... and reappears every once in awhile. I remember lurking for awhile... but as a former runner, I had to chime in! Toe turn-out SHOULD NOT be discouraged. It's completely natural. All sprinters do it, and most every high-level pitcher I've seen does it.

I recommend filming your DD sprinting. Watch the turn-out that happens. Once you've seen that, you'll know what level is good to see her use on the plate.

NOT doing it... well... that can cause all sorts of issues. Taking a step with toe forward vs toe slightly outward, prevents our hips to more naturally open... something that many younger pitchers struggle with. Even worse... are PC's that create a FORCED (like those horrible red foot prisons they sell) position... thus preventing the hips and shoulders from opening on time. The arm-circle... and general shoulder wellness can suffer, too.

A good comparison... if you watch most high-level hitters... you'll notice that there is some light degree of toe-opening when they stride. Some call it flair (sp?)... and it allows the body/hips to rotate naturally. As with anything... too much should be avoided, but a pitchers desire to do it really makes a difference in the efficiency of shoulder movements over top.

A little Hansen goes along way (except in the 90's... those guys were horrible):

Note how free Blaire's hips are to open... and... how early they open.

To your point, a minimal amount of turn normal but often it gets excessive resulting in other issues. The title of this thread could have been Nice video of Japanese Pitcher throwing an IP. Looks a bit like Nevins with the big foot turn.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand