New to trying out for TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Okay so my daughter has played travel for several years but it has been on teams from our area where the coaches knew her and asked if she wanted to play and she agreed. No tryouts or anything. This year we are looking to change things up a little bit and I've found a couple of teams on active.com that fit our needs and are close enough that I don't have to drive 2 or 3 hours to practice. So here is my question. Do I go to both tryouts or do I only chose the one I'm most interested in? Tryouts are the same weekend. Let's just say they both decide they want her (lol). Am I burning a bridge of the one I turn down for the future? The problem I'm having is that her birthday is a 99 and most teams I'm finding are wanting 2000 birthdays so that they can stay together for 2 years. My daughter won't be able to play on whatever team she finds past the first of Aug. I know that I'm more than likely going to have to start searching for another team next year so I don't want to make any enemies for the future. I'm really asking is it customary for players to go to several tryouts and then once they hear back from them make their decison from there?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do I go to both tryouts or do I only chose the one I'm most interested in?
Are you trying out or is your DD (darling daughter) trying out?

She should go to both.

Am I burning a bridge of the one I turn down for the future?

A good coach doesn't care as long as your are honest and don't string them along.

I'm really asking is it customary for players to go to several tryouts and then once they hear back from them make their decision from there?

Yes.

Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for the really sweet answer! ;) When I say I, I mean that seeing as how she's 12 I'm driving the car so yes I am going to the tryouts. She is the one trying out. Don't have any delusions of me trying out. :rolleyes:

Oct 19, 2009
If she's really good, she holds the cards. Sluggers is right on. If you reject one, do it in a way that leaves the door open if things don't work out the the team she selects.

Apr 1, 2010
I would urge your daughter to go to both tryouts. 1) IMO it's good for kids to get experience at tryouts; 2) you never know which girls and coach she will like the best; and 3) you also never know which day she'll turn in her best performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06