New to Coaching Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
I agree with the Howard Kobata DVDs. When I ordered mine, he actually called me at home and we talked for a good hour. He impressed on me the fact that softball is not baseball. Our sport is dominated by male coaches in the youth levels who teach baseball. And many female coaches teach baseball because that's what they were taught. Softball is a faster game and efficiency counts. There aren't as many moments when you can get away with a double pump or waiting back on the ball.
My second bit of advice is read through the Positive Coaching Alliance website positivecoach.org and listen to some of the podcasts.
Finally, learn the rules. Read the rule book. Ken Eriksen (USF) stated at a recent convention I attended that 75% of softball coaches never bother to read the rule book. Read it and have the advantage over 75% of your opponents.
Best of luck.

Apr 1, 2010
^^^^ good point by coach fastpitch ^^^^
As far as the mental approach to a major difference between coaching boys and girls is....
~~~Boys have to play good, in order to feel good about themselves.
~~~Girls must first feel good about themselves, in order to play good.
When you yell at a girl on the field for poor play its important to say something like "your so much better than that!" Instead of something negative. Always be happy to see her and positive even when she is less than her best. This approach to coaching girls will go so much further than the drill sergeant style.

Good point. It's ok to demand effort, but most girls do better when you keep them engaged by saying something positive.

DD once spent a winter doing sessions with a bunch of boys. The instructor treated the boys like...boys, LOL. On the very first day, she was not happy with the way he talked to her and was very grumpy afterward. I didn't say anything to him, but he was a smart guy and a father of daughters... The next session, he started talking to her differently. He expected her to do the same drills and to perform with her best effort, all he did was change his style with her. They were fine from then on.

Thanks I will definitely look at the videos. I am on a budget being a teacher an all but all that you say about teaching girls is very true. I plan on studying the sport and appreciate all of the advice. I'll have to check out the rule book because I know nothing really about the rules of fastpitch. I don't even know what DD is. I played baseball for 8 years so that's what made me want to get in to coaching. I will keep up with the forums and if you will, please keep me in mind if you find something that will help my ladies advance in the sport. It's all about them.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A lot of the dads got into softball, because of the DDs. (darling daughters)

While you are learning all of the above, study the art of windmill pitching. It will make you invaluable.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Best single piece of advice I can give you (and save you the 2 years it took to convince this dumb old D1 BB player) is that a high-level or MLB swing is also the model/goal for the ideal FP softball swing, too!

PS DD = darling daughter, diamond diva, dollar drainer, dirt devil, etc.

Just got the Howard Kobata DVDs I'm going to watch them. Has anyone signed up for the Vault memberships at Cindy Bristow's Site? I just got through reading her book about coaching girls, it was really interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd