Middle School Softball Pitching advice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2012
How many days between? Will the other team play another team in between? Is she out of the norm with velocity?
Generally will not matter that much. In tournaments sometimes you see a team multiple times, probably not good to go one game Saturday then one Sunday vs same team. Next week not as big a deal.
If the pitcher is like 5mph faster every time the hitters see them they will get better. Just assuming your 8th grade league is like ours with players of all levels. It is not that c level hitter cannot adjust to better pitching they just need reps.
Hitters (or coaches) will remember things like throwing first pitch strikes so you may have to change it up a bit.
Thanks. Game was last night and I didn't have to pitcher her. Got by with my 2 and 3. We will most likely see them in 10 days at our Playoffs. Weird part of the schedule this year is that we already played them four times and beat them all four. They are a decent team, but we just find a way each game. My new concern is just the simple fact that it is tough to beat a team twice or three times a season, but to beat them five times? Ugh...just puts a knot in my stomach that this is something I am thinking about. With a bounce or two the wrong way. Is there something to that? If we beat them four times, should I be worried about that? Gonna pitch my #1 and just let it play out.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
.....Ugh...just puts a knot in my stomach that this is something I am thinking about......should I be worried about that?
Step back, bigger picture here: You're developing kids to be better ball players and human beings. You'll look back with more contentment knowing you accomplished that than whether your team went 5-0 vs. 4-1 against the Eastern St. Benedict Arnold River Middle School Fightin' Care Bears.

May 18, 2019
Thanks. Game was last night and I didn't have to pitcher her. Got by with my 2 and 3. We will most likely see them in 10 days at our Playoffs. Weird part of the schedule this year is that we already played them four times and beat them all four. They are a decent team, but we just find a way each game. My new concern is just the simple fact that it is tough to beat a team twice or three times a season, but to beat them five times? Ugh...just puts a knot in my stomach that this is something I am thinking about. With a bounce or two the wrong way. Is there something to that? If we beat them four times, should I be worried about that? Gonna pitch my #1 and just let it play out.
Pattar, what's the bernoulli trial probability of a fifth outcome being a failure given four straight successes? I'm guessing pretty darn low. If the question makes no sense, reframe it. Put this guy at ease 😁. More importantly, Steiner (that makes me want a hofbrauhaus octoberfest special) this seems like a big deal now but with time and distance, it will be a nat on life's rear end.

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar, what's the bernoulli trial probability of a fifth outcome being a failure given four straight successes? I'm guessing pretty darn low. If the question makes no sense, reframe it. Put this guy at ease 😁.

I think the 4 times winning in this case just allows one to assume the probability of losing is low (say p) and hence the probability of losing the fifth game is also p if one assumes the outcomes (w or l) are independent.

In this case, if you knew p ahead of time then the probability of not losing after 5 tries would be (1-p)^5

The old adage that beating a team 3 times in a row is difficult is saying that the outcomes are not independent and that somehow winning increases p for future events. I suppose with humans being involved that is possible in some cases (eg in sports the teams make adjustments due to the prior outcomes..like change the pitcher 😂)

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
I think the 4 times winning in this case just allows one to assume the probability of losing is low (say p) and hence the probability of losing the fifth game is also p if one assumes the outcomes (w or l) are independent.

In this case, if you knew p ahead of time then the probability of not losing after 5 tries would be (1-p)^5

The old adage that beating a team 3 times in a row is difficult is saying that the outcomes are not independent and that somehow winning increases p for future events. I suppose with humans being involved that is possible in some cases (eg in sports the teams make adjustments due to the prior outcomes..like change the pitcher 😂)
There you go Steiner! P is really really low. You got this. Now just don't screw it up by being a worse coach than the other 4 times 😁.

May 13, 2023
imo
Agree development of players should always be in the works.
That said
There should always be a goal to win. Especially at the end of the season you take what you have developed and go win with it!

Jan 25, 2022
Those hitters aren't gonna get any better in the last 1/4 of the season. Some of them even get worse if they aren't getting reps in between games. I would only consider managing her arm with regard to deciding when to throw her. Especially if you expect to face a better team within a day.

Oct 4, 2018

Yeah, you're worrying about it too much. Think of what that other coach must be thinking: "We can't beat this team and we have to play them again?!?"

You have a huge psychological edge on them.

Aug 5, 2022
Agree with everyone else here. The point is you don’t ever HAVE to pitch her. This isn’t the college World Series and even if it was the health and wellbeing of your athlete should always come first. Yes losing sucks but injuring an athlete sucks more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles